Connect with us

News

New parking tax regime for Lagosians commences Q2 2023 – Lagos Govt

Published

on

The Lagos State Government said it would commence a new parking tax regime for residents of Lagos from the second quarter of 2023.

Nairametrics understands that the new tax regime would commence in phases, starting from Ikeja, Lagos Island and Surulere areas of the state.

The General Manager of Lagos State Parking Authority (LASPA), Mrs Adebisi Adelabu disclosed this in Lagos on Thursday in an interaction with journalists. According to her, the new tax levy would affect religious places, event centres, streets, houses on setbacks and other public places.

To ensure the effectiveness of the new regime, she said the agency was partnering with private investors as concessionaires, while other government agencies like the Ministry of Transport, local governments and local council development areas, corporate bodies and individuals. Already, she said the agency was working with major stakeholders in the state to publicise the new regime.

Adelabu explained that the State Government intended to commence the scheme earlier in the year, but its interactions with the public delayed its commencement date.

But, she assured me that there was no going back on the commencement of the new levy in the second quarter of 2023.

Besides, the LASPA boss explained that the primary aim of the scheme was not for revenue generation as alleged in some quarters, but to bring sanity to the state and ensure it complies with its mega or smart city status.

She explained that parking is an essential part of addressing the perennial traffic logjam in the state, assuring that the scheme would put an end to indiscriminate parking in most parts of Lagos.

She also insisted that the new tax regime was not tantamount to multiple taxations of the Lagos residents, saying that motorists had been paying fees to faceless persons in the past year without accountability.

She, however, did not specify the ranges of the payments by vehicle owners, religious and event centres, but said the amount of money to be paid would vary from one area to the other, depending on the location.

Adelabu insisted that the law was not new as former Governor Mr Babatunde Fashola, commenced its implementation during his time as the governor of the state, but was relaxed by the succeeding regime.

According to her, the implementation of the tax levy then compelled some religious and event centres to either relocate their activities out of their areas or buy properties close to their centres. She said:

“We want to drive to Lagos where parking space and cost are considered for every inhabitant of the state. Parking is the priority of everyone, including landlords and tenants. Lagos State will get to a stage where houses won’t be taken because of inadequate parking space.

“We have used the last nine months to build an inter-agency relationship. To drive the programme well, concessionaires will be engaged. At least, each concessionaire will employ between 50 to 100 employees. That is another way of creating jobs for the people. We have been sensitizing the public. On-street parking, we will eventually cover all streets and setbacks in the entire state.”

Controversial Levy

Meanwhile, the planned car parking levy has generated controversies in the past few months.

Speaking to journalists on the issue recently, a trade unionist, Mr Olayinka Abioye, said the government’s policy was dangerous coming at a time when the state, like other parts of the country, is preparing for another general election. Abioye said:

“When I read about this shocking development last week, I laughed out loud that a government that is going into an election must be very careful in order not to foul the already stenched environment. No matter the good intentions thereof, this is not the appropriate time to roll out this law.

“However, I am aware that the government usually engages the people and stakeholders before assenting to policies dished out or suggested by consultants whose only intention is to get their percentage of whatever accrues from such ventures.

“Did this government carry Lagosians along? What was the response of the people, especially home/house owners? What about landlords who do not have cars but whose tenants have vehicles? How many public parks have the government built in any of our communities where vehicle owners can park their vehicles, which will somehow generate revenue for the government and create job opportunities for those who manage such enterprises?”

The president of the Association of Town Planning Consultants of Nigeria (ATOPCON), Muyiwa Adelu, said that parking zones should be maintained.

However, he explained that collecting fees for every available space is not the answer to traffic reduction in the metropolis.

“It is going to cause more problems for the suffering public. The way the state government is going about raising money from everywhere will not help the public. Government should stay within its boundary of collecting necessary statutory taxes and levies.”

He added that car parks and statutory setbacks ought to be maintained by the local governments in their areas.

 

Advertisement

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending