News
Popular Lagos Designer, Alade Vincent, Jailed Over Internet Fraud In The US
A Nigerian fashion designer, Alade Vincent, popularly known as “Alvince”, has been sentenced to four years and two months in federal prison by the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland for wire fraud estimated at $1.1 million, court documents said.
Federal authorities arrested him on November 3, 2021. On the same day, Mr Vincent made his first appearance before the federal court in Baltimore, Maryland, where he was charged before Magistrate Judge Thomas DiGirolamo for aggravated identity theft and conspiring with others to commit wire fraud.
On July 5, 2022, District Judge Stephanie Gallagher convicted Mr Vincent of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and aggravated identity theft after the Department of Homeland Security Investigations indicted him. He promptly pleaded guilty to the charges.
“The defendant is hereby committed to the custody of the United States Bureau of Prisons to be imprisoned for a term of 26 months as to Count 1 and 24 months as to Count 6 to run consecutively to the term imposed as to Count 1 for a total term of 50 months,” Ms Gallagher ruled.

Additionally, the judge ordered Mr Vincent, 35, to pay $243,269.00 in restitution, with two years of supervised release, one year each for both charges, upon completing his jail term.
According to court documents, the fashion designer, who has clothed several top Nigerian celebrities, in Baltimore, Maryland, used the accurate identity information of individuals to open numerous bank accounts to obtain funds from companies and individuals, using fraudulent emails and phone calls in early 2019.
The fashion designer, who ranked among the top bespoke designers in Lagos, had conspired with other Nigerians, Hameed Adesokan, Adewumi Abioye, Lukman Salam, Akolade Ojo, and Damilola Lawal, to deceive his victims into sending funds to numerous bank accounts controlled by Mr Vincent.
Mr Vincent had obtained Delaware and North Carolina driver’s licences, providing personal information of two victims who resided in Nebraska and Missouri, respectively. Documents obtained from U.S. financial institutions also indicated that surveillance images of transactions matched that of Mr Vincent.
“Vincent then used the fake identification documents to open financial institution accounts and engaged in financial transactions involving those accounts, including attempting to deposit a fraudulent check, receiving proceeds from fraud, and disbursing proceeds of fraud through a variety of means to include, but not limited to, wire transfers, money order purchases, ATM and cash withdrawals, and casino activity,” said the special agent in charge, Darren R. Rusakiewicz.

The document said the fashion designer, on January 22, 2019, registered a company named SG Enterprise LLC in Maryland, using the details of his first victim contained in the Delaware driver’s licence.
He received $10,000 from the said company’s account on February 19; $21,095 on March 19 from a South African bank, which the investigator said: “was removed through the point-of-sale transactions, an ATM withdrawal, and a wire transfer.”
On March 21, 2019, SG Enterprise LLC’s account in Well Fargo received $385,500.12 interstate wire, but soon, the bank received a letter from Fifth Third Bank stating that its (the latter) customer, a construction company, had been a victim of identity fraud. Wells Fargo subsequently froze S.G. Enterprise LLC’s account and soon returned the funds to Fifth Third Bank.
According to the document, the company received $26,943.81 in its BB&T account on March 26, 2019. The individual from who the money was transferred told the federal investigator that Mr Vincent, through his company, fraudulently induced him into paying the money after receiving an email.
Mr Vincent, through another S.G. Enterprise LLC account he opened in Chase Bank, received a $90,300 incoming wire from a firm. He withdrew some funds and sent some to the Dubai Islamic Bank. On June 17, 2019.
The fashion designer had also attempted to deposit a SunTrust check of $42,899 on June 17, which was returned as “altered/fictitious.”
Federal investigators, in October 2021, interviewed Mr Vincent’s first victim, whose identity was used in the Delaware driver’s licence and company, but the victim affirmed that he did not open the enterprise with which the fashion designer used to defraud individuals.
Mr Vincent subsequently registered another company, Timberg Enterprise LLC, also in Maryland, using the information of his second victim, whose personal information was used for the North Carolina driver’s licence. He opened a Bank of America business account, receiving $390,386.72 incoming wire from a firm on June 28.
From his Timberg Enterprise business account, the fashion designer, via telephone calls, deceived another company into paying $40,000 into the accounts opened in his victim’s name.
According to the document, Mr Vincent also received $59,467.55 incoming wire in his BB&T account on June 18, 2019, from Wells Fargo.
Also, when interviewed by the investigator at his Missouri residence on October 8, 2021, the other victim affirmed that he did not open the business or sign signature cards.
Mr Vincent has clothed celebrities like Tu Face, D’banj, and Don Jazzy, among others. He won several fashion awards and was nominated for Future Awards in 2009. His fashion business was among the most visible in Lagos fashion district at Adeniran Ogunsanya in Surulere. Up until 2014-2015, Mr Vincent was still a major force in Lagos fashion circles and it remained unclear when he moved to the U.S. or joined cybercrime syndicates.
Tu Face dressed by Alvince Couture.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News12 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News8 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment9 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
