Connect with us

News

Ogbomoso: Concerns mount as family crisis, religion, 2023 elections delay announcement of new Soun

Published

on

It is no more news that Ogbomoso, the second largest city in Oyo State, South West Nigeria has no Oba (monarch) at the moment.

The ancient city was founded by a warrior known as Soun Ogunlola. Ogunlola was said to have rescued the old Oyo empire from the oppression of Elemoso.

Ogbomoso is located in the Northern part of the present Oyo State.

The city, which produced one of the former governors of the State, late Christopher Adebayo Alao-Akala and a former Inspector General of Police, late Sunday Adewusi, has since December last year been without a monarch.

This was as a result of the transition of the immediate past Soun of Ogbomoso, Oba Jimoh Oyewumi Ajagungnade 111.

Oba Oyewumi joined his ancestors on December 12, 2021, at the age of 95.

The monarch was a successful businessman before he ascended the throne of his forebears on October 24, 1973. He reigned for 48 years.

However, since the transition of the last occupant, the Soun of Ogbomoso stool is still vacant.

This is despite the fact that the kingmakers in Ogbomoso have screened the princes who indicated interest to ascend the throne and have since picked a nominee to ascend the throne.

DAILY POST gathered from prominent indigenes of Ogbomoso that 25 indigenes indicated interest in the throne.

It was learnt that 23 of them purchased the form, but two other people later joined the race.

A source told DAILY POST that the kingmakers have screened the applicants and have since sent the name of the choice nominee for the position to the State government for approval and announcement.

The name was submitted to the Oyo State government in March this year. However, as of the time of this report, the name has not been announced.

Findings by DAILY POST revealed that several factors may be responsible for the delay in the announcement of the new monarch.

Some of the reasons for the delay according to residents of the ancient city included family feuds, 2023 political permutations, religion and litigations.

An Ogbomoso indigene, who craved anonymity revealed that the kingmakers concluded their work on March 22, and promptly dispatched the name of the nominee to Oyo State Governor, Engineer Seyi Makinde, through Ogbomoso North Local Government.

The source, who is very close to the palace, hinted that various reasons were responsible for the delay.

One major reason, according to him, is the feud tearing the family apart over the choice of Prince Afolabi Ghandi Olaoye as Soun nominee.

He added that political exigency in the face of 2023 general elections, rationalization of religion and court cases were also responsible for the delay in the announcement of the new monarch.

He said, “Family feuds erupting in the selection of a new monarch is not something strange, it has always been part of the process.

“If the process is repeated hundred times, it will still be dogged by crises; so hanging on to the flare-up of rancour within the family or families as the basis for the standoff by the governor is roundly untenable; it is like the arbiter, that is the voters, holding back from voting because rivals are crying blue murder over the emergence of party candidates through rancorous processes.

“Therefore, l consider the feud as a design that suits and feeds the selfishness of the powers that be. Thus, the inevitable family feud in an enterprise as selection of a new Soun is an alibi to put the process on hold indefinitely.

“Prince Ghandi Olaoye, the Soun nominee, is a Christian but there is a strong indication that a section of the Muslim community is vehemently opposed to his choice on religious ground.

“I am aware there are no less than three suits challenging the process, two from co-contestants and one from the three families of Ologolo, Oluopo and Olukan seeking to be included in the ruling families of Soun dynasty, being from the royal families too.

We don’t know what is causing the delay in the announcement of the new Soun- Areago

The Areago of Ogbomoso, High Chief Sobaloju Otolorin, while speaking with DAILY POST, noted that no one knows what is causing the delay in the announcement of the name of the new Soun.

The Areago added that the name of the nominee had been forwarded to the State Government since March this year.

The Areago spoke with DAILY POST during a telephone conversation on Tuesday.

He said that, “On 23rd of March, we submitted the name, we cannot say what is causing the delay, we don’t know why the government is yet to announce the name. We don’t know what is causing the delay.

“We sent one name, you know when two people are contesting, one person will win and they will write the result on it.

“23 people collected the form and two more people joined making it 25”.

Effort made by DAILY POST to get a reaction from the Chief Press Secretary to the State Governor, Taiwo Adisa since Tuesday proved abortive as calls put through his phone were not answered, while an SMS sent to him has not been replied as of the time of filing this report on Wednesday.

But, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Olasunkanmi Olaleye, when contacted on Tuesday, said that he was just posted to the office.

He said that he would check the files and get back to our reporter.

“I have to check. I have just been posted to that ministry. I have just been posted there. I have to check and get back to you.

“You can call me back tomorrow if you did not get a response from me or you just send a message,” he said.

However, subsequent effort made to get further comment from Olaleye proved abortive as calls put through his phone on Wednesday were not answered, while SMS sent to him has not been replied as of the time of filing this report.

Advertisement

News

Rivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention

Published

on

By

The Rivers State House of Assembly has officially suspended impeachment proceedings against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Ngozi Odu, following President Bola Tinubu’s intervention.

The House moved the motion to halt the impeachment process on Thursday at its resumed sitting in Port Harcourt, the state capital.

JomogNews had reported that during its first sitting of 2026, the House had begun impeachment proceedings against the governor and his deputy over allegations of gross misconduct, including the demolition of the State Assembly complex and alleged spending without legislative approval, among other claims.

More details later….

 

 

Continue Reading

News

Reserves Surge To $48.5bn As Nigeria Reclaims 2013 Peak Levels

Published

on

By

Nigeria’s foreign exchange (FX) reserves have reached $48.5 billion, their highest level in nearly 13 years.

This milestone, confirmed by data from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), surpasses previous multi-year peaks and represents the strongest balance since May 14, 2013, when reserves stood at approximately $48.51 billion.

However, the data showed that the foreign reserves increased steadily by 6.45 percent or $2.94 billion year-to-date, from $45.56 billion reported on January 1 to $48.5 billion.

Further checks showed that the FX reserves figure was $48.36 billion on Monday.

According to the CBN, FX reserves are assets held on reserve by a monetary authority in foreign currencies, which are used to back liabilities and influence monetary policy.

On December 22, 2025, the apex bank projected that the country’s external reserves would rise to $51.04 billion in 2026, saying the increase will be supported by FX reforms.

“Reforms in the foreign exchange market are expected to sustain exchange rate stability, while external reserves are projected to increase to US$51.04 billion,” CBN said.

On February 10, Olayemi Cardoso, governor of CBN, said the bank will do “whatever it takes” to safeguard the value of the naira, while strengthening the country’s external reserves.

Looking ahead to 2030, he said the CBN’s targets include achieving single-digit inflation and growing foreign exchange (FX) reserves driven by non-oil exports, foreign direct investment, and diaspora remittances.

 

Continue Reading

News

Ogun Police Launch Investigation Into TikToker Mirabel’s Sexual Assault Claims

Published

on

By

The Ogun State Police Command has launched an investigation into sexual assault allegations made by a TikToker known as Mirabel (@mirab351), who is currently receiving treatment in an Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

The case gained widespread attention after she posted emotional videos on Monday, February 16, detailing an attack she claimed occurred at her home the previous Sunday.

The command’s Public Relations Officer, Oluseyi Babaseyi, disclosed the development on Thursday while speaking on The Morning Brief.

Babaseyi confirmed that Mirabel voluntarily visited the Ibafo Police Division on Tuesday, February 17, to lodge a formal complaint and was subsequently admitted to the hospital for medical care due to her unstable condition.

“When the DPO in Ibafo met with her, she was taken to the hospital for medical analysis. She wasn’t as stable as necessary, but we ensured the investigation continued.

“As we speak, she is in the intensive care unit getting appropriate care. Her medical well-being is more important to us at this point. When she is stable, we can now continue investigations and get the necessary facts,” Babaseyi said.

According to Babaseyi, the incident reportedly occurred in Ogijo, a border community between Ogun and Lagos states.

The police have established that Mirabel was not arrested, but rather, she is being treated as a victim.

The command urges individuals with useful information to come forward and assist with the investigation.

“She was not arrested by the police. She reported a case, and we are investigating. Nothing like her arrest happened,” he said.

“If the allegation is established to be true, the perpetrator will be arrested and charged to court appropriately. Otherwise, the law also addresses giving false information,” the police stated.

The police said they will rely on evidence to reach a logical conclusion and take appropriate action.

“We advise people not to jump to conclusions based on emotions. We are investigating and will rely on evidence to reach a logical conclusion,” Babaseyi said.

Continue Reading

Trending