News
FIIRO Restores Demoted Officer’s Salary Amidst Fraud Trial
An end seems not to be in sight in the crisis at the Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi, Lagos State, as a demoted officer, Chima Igwe, who was asked to refund salaries he collected for 18 years, has been made a director.
A memo purportedly signed by the Acting Director of Human Resource Management, L.A. Enwerem, dated July 14, 2022, ordered that he should also be paid the salary of a director.
The Independent Corrupt Practices and other related Offences Commission is currently prosecuting Igwe before the Lagos State Special Offences Court, Ikeja, for giving false information to his employers.
The President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd), had ordered the ICPC to charge the officer to court after the anti-graft agency discovered that he earned salaries with a phantom PhD for 18 years.
He had claimed he got the certificate from the Universite D’ Abomey Calavi, Benin Republic, in 2001 and based on that had got undeserved promotions and salaries.
After the controversies generated by the scandal, Igwe returned to the Benin varsity and was formally awarded a PhD in 2020.
Igwe, a former acting director-general, was demoted by the former FIIRO board led by Alhaji Ibrahim Gwarzo, after the academic fraud became public knowledge.
The board also ordered him to refund the salaries he earned fraudulently.
The board’s decisions did not go down well with a former Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation, Dr Ogbonnaya Onu, who favoured Igwe to head the organisation and wrote the President several times to demand his confirmation as substantive DG.
Onu later dissolved the board and installed some acolytes, who overruled some of the decisions of the former board.
The new board Chairman, Alhaji Magaji Gambo, had rued Igwe’s trial, saying it would not affect the agency’s dealings with him.
Sources at FIIRO told our correspondent that the demoted officer had been attending management meetings and acting as a director.
Our correspondent sighted a memo dated August 12, 2022, and purportedly signed by Igwe in his capacity as the Director of Chemical, Fibre and Environmental Technology Department.
The human resources director, Enwerem, in his memo, titled, ‘Reinstatement on position and salary,’ and addressed to the Senior Administrative Officer, ordered that Igwe’s salary as director be restored.
The memo read, “I write to draw your attention to the report of the ministerial committee on FIIRO and the resolution of the Governing Board, dated March 1, 2022, as well as the affirmation of the management committee at a meeting held on June 22, 2022.
“Please, you are hereby directed to reinstate Dr Igwe to his position as Director (CFET) on the nominal roll as well as his salary on IPPIS platform, status quo ante. This is for your strict and immediate compliance and implementation.”
A senior official of the institute stated that the board was only doing the bidding of the former minister.
He said, “There is no basis for his reinstatement. A letter was sent to him (Igwe) in 2021 for his demotion because of the fake certificate he presented.
“The present board itself was instituted by Ogbonnaya Onu and they are simply doing his bidding. It is this same interest that made Onu dissolve the former board because they refused his demands. The staff members of the institute reject the reinstatement of Chima Igwe.
“There is a presidential directive given through the report of the Head of Service that he (Igwe) should go back to being a Chief Research Officer.”
The Joint Action Committee, consisting of all the labour unions in the institute, in a letter to the new Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation, Senator Adeleke Mamora, demanded the return of Igwe to his position as Chief Research Officer.
The letter, dated July 19, 2022, was signed by the Chairperson of the Non-Academic Staff Union of Allied and Education Institutions, Florence Ogunleye; Chairman of the Academic Staff Union of Research Institutions, Zeberu Elakhame; the Chairman of the Senior Staff Association of Universities’ Teaching Hospitals Research Institutes and Associated Institutions, Togunde Mumeen.
The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, and the Chief of Staff to the President, Ibrahim Gambari, were copied.
The group said, “To the shock of all staff and well-meaning watchers all over the world, the present Mogaji-led board, in an office notice signed by a deputy director reinstated Igwe to the position of Director, in contravention of the directive of Mr President (Annex VIII).
“The action of the board is against the law of equity and natural justice, as a good number of researchers have been denied promotion and stagnated for several years over lack of PhD; and the action has demoralised the staff immediately.
“We hereby appeal to you to use your good offices to mitigate the above stated matters threatening the progress and survival of the institute, as stakeholders all over the world are watching with keen interest.
“Direct that Dr C.C. Igwe should revert to the post of Chief Research Officer: a post commensurate to his qualification and post-doctoral graduation experience as he continues to face his prosecution at the Special Offences Court by the ICPC in Ikeja, Lagos.”
Enwerem, when contacted by our correspondent on Monday, said he was not obliged to give any information regarding the institute.
The current Director-General, Jummai Tutuwa, said she was not aware of the matter.
She said, “I am not aware of anything because none of the directors briefed me on it. The first management meeting that we had, I just saw him formally introducing himself as Dr Chima Igwe, that is all.”
The board Chairman, Gambo, ended the call after PUNCH journalist.
Our reporter called back 17 times and sent two text messages, but he did not respond.
The spokesperson for the Head of Service of the Federation, Abdulganiyu Aminu, said he was not aware of the reinstatement.
The overseeing minister, Mamora, said he was in a meeting and could not respond immediately.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News11 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News7 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment8 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
