Connect with us

News

I Have No Link With Violence in Ede – Osun House Minority Leader, Babajide

Published

on

The lawmaker representing Ede North State Constituency in the Osun State House of Assembly, Kofoworola Babajide has denied any involvement in the crisis that led to the killing of one of his constituents, Olakekan Abideen.

Babajide, who is the Minority Leader in the State Assembly, in a statement on Monday, countered the narrative by a family member of the deceased.

Babajide was accused of inviting police personnel from Osogbo, led by one Superintendent of Police, Omoyele.

It was alleged by relatives of the deceased that Olalekan’s wife was also killed by the policemen.

Trouble started during a ward meeting on Friday, which was convened to share a certain amount of money allegedly meant for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) members for casting their votes in the July 16, gubernatorial election.

However, Babajide said he was nowhere near the scene of the attack when the man was killed.

He added that his silence on the matter since its occurrence was to respect the soul of the deceased and the search of his father who had been missing since his house was razed.

The lawmaker, while acknowledging that he attended the said ward meeting on Friday, denied that he kept back N250,000 meant for party members.

In his words, “While it was true that I attended the ward meeting of the PDP on the day in question, I was never part of the minor disagreement that arose between members but was swiftly resolved by leaders at the meeting. It was after I left the meeting that I was informed by one of my aides who was still at the meeting that thugs, mostly of the All Progressives Congress (APC) had pounced on members and left many scampering for safety.

“Upon further prompting, I gathered that the APC thugs had invaded the meeting upon the invitation of some aggrieved members, which Mrs. Rukayat Olalekan Olasoji, seemed to have confirmed in her interview. I received word that a patrol team of the Nigeria Police arrived at the scene of the scuffle and as they attempted an amicable resolution, Mr. Olalekan Abideen was said to have confronted them and in the ensuing melee, was shot by the officers.

“Let it be known that I was not at the scene or anywhere near it, contrary to the falsehood being promoted by Mrs. Rukayat Olalekan Olasoji. In fact, I was with Mrs. Rukayat Olajide Olasoji and her husband at the Division A Police station in Ede, when a baby taken from the deceased woman was brought in. The DPO of that station can confirm my presence. If that same Mrs. Rukayat Olajide Olasoji is claiming I led the attack that resulted in the woman’s death, the question to now ask her is how is it possible for me to be at two different places at the same time?

“Despite this, they mobilized to attack me and in the process, burnt two houses belonging to my parents, and my father, who was in one of the buildings before the attack is yet to be found.”

Babajide alleged that the attack on his family was a premeditated one, adding that he had evidence of threats issued against his life by a brother of the deceased.

While stressing that the attempt to link the violence in Ede was a failed plot to shut him up, he lamented that he lacked the protection from the police to continue to carry out his responsibility of interfacing with his constituents regularly.

Meanwhile, the Osun All Progressives Congress (APC) has alleged that plans have been set in motion to violently attack the media team of the State governor, Adegboyega Oyetola and the State APC Chairman, Gboyega Famodun.

In a statement signed by Kola Olabisi, the Media Adviser to the Osun APC chairman, he alleged that the plan was concocted in collaboration between the Osun PDP and The Osun Progressives (TOP), a faction of the Osun APC loyal to the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola.

Olabisi claimed that the plot was to deny the media team of the governor and the APC an opportunity to air their views on any contemporary political issues at this crucial time in the political history of the State.

Advertisement

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending