Connect with us

News

Lagos CVR: INEC Staff Helping Politicians Hoard PVC Forms – Oniru Residents

Published

on

Staff of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) have been accused of aiding politicians to hoard Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) in Oniru, Lagos.

Citizens who tried to apply for their Permanent Voter’s Card (PVC) at the New Market area narrated their experience to DAILY POST on Friday.

One of them, Simon, lamented that dozens of people were left stranded because they could not submit their personal data.

The youth said at the venue, he met a crowd grumbling and engaged in conversations to find out the situation.

“On Thursday, we heard that “signed forms” were shared on Wednesday which was declared no-market day. The INEC people didn’t come that Wednesday.”

Simon, a company supervisor, said upon enquiry, they were told that a certain councillor in the Oniru area signed the forms.

“We tried to speak with the INEC staff but they did not respond, saying they were busy. We later discovered that the forms for new registrants were with somebody”, he said.

Another complainant, who spoke on condition of anonymity, disclosed that the individual was identified by residents.

“We approached him but he kept insisting the forms would not be released without the consent of a councillor. He was only giving them out after profiling.

“At one point, the atmosphere got charged; people ran after him and were shouting that the papers are federal government property.”

The aggrieved applicant noted that many were disappointed, wondering why a person not working for INEC was in possession of the forms.

However, the processes for the replacement of damaged/lost voter’s card, correction of details, and application for transfer of location were not complicated, the source added.

On Saturday, INEC’s Public Relations Officer in Lagos, Adenike Oriowo said the commission would need evidence of the complaints.

“The people can make a video, we need it for evidence. It will also be useful if they can get the person’s name”, she told DAILY POST.

There have been disturbances at some CVR centres in different locations across the state, with non-indigenes raising allegations of a disenfranchisement plot.

On Friday, disruption occurred at St. Bridget Catholic Church in ljesha, Surulere, as thugs carted away enrollment machines, according to eyewitnesses in a trending video.

Speaking to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Oriowo stated that no machine was stolen and though there were issues, orderliness was restored.

“We have moved the registration in that centre to another polling unit in the area Our officials have continued with the registration”, the spokesperson said.

INEC postponed the CVR registration deadline from June 30 to July 31 after a judgement delivered by the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The judge dismissed the suit by the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) seeking an extension beyond the end of last month.

The court affirmed that INEC is at liberty to suspend the exercise, provided it is not later than 90 days before the date fixed for a general election as provided in Section 9(6) of the Electoral Act 2022.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending