News
EFCC: Yahoo Boys On The Prowl In Abuja Satellite Towns
The activities of internet fraudsters, popularly known as ‘Yahoo’ in Nigeria is now on the sharp increase in Nigeria’s satellite towns.
Before the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, began clamping down on them, the fraudsters had taken over major cities in the country, boastfully spending and intimidating neighbours with their ill-gotten wealth.
Foreigners have stereotyped Nigerians as fraudsters and put the country on the red list, while innocent citizens have to go through a lot to gain the trust of investors.
But, with many people becoming aware of the tactics of these internet fraudsters, they have now resorted to the more dangerous and more sophisticated Yahoo Plus.
This entails the use of metaphysical powers to compel victims to do their bidding. It requires diabolical rituals such as human sacrifice.
The fast money seekers would also be made to go through bathing with some sort of spiritual soaps, sleeping in coffins, bathing in burial grounds, market square, acting mad in public places for a while, having sexual intercourse with a mad person or even eating faeces to become rich.
The Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abuja city centre, the Central Business District and other places such as Wuse, Garki, Asokoro and Maitama, had been a safe haven for these diabolical fraudsters.
And a lot of girls have fallen victim to this as most of them are used for ritual, especially by their boyfriends with their bodies dumped in different canals or roadsides, while some others suddenly run mad.
An investigation by DAILY POST shows that these criminals, majority of whom are youths, are now relocating to satellite towns in the FCT, where they consider safe for their crimes.
One of those incidents of display of arrogance by these boys was when over 40 of them, clad in white garments, stormed Abuja and attempted to breach the security of the popular estates back in February.
The fraudsters came in a convoy of 15 cars, carrying over 40 people, all clad in white around 2:30 a.m.
A security personnel narrated that they became aggressive, as they attempted to forcibly penetrate the estate.
Just recently, over 30 internet fraudsters were arrested and paraded by the EFCC in Abuja.
The Abuja Zonal Command of the EFCC said that the suspects were arrested on Tuesday, June 14, 2022, in Lugbe and Kubwa suburbs of Abuja, following credible intelligence on their alleged internet fraud activities.
The suspects include: Obazee Destiny, Oloton Kenneth, Emmanuel Patrick, Cobirevwhe Lucky, Wisdom Chinedu Okeke, Emmanuel Obiajulu Okafor, Chime Gabriel, Uchime Gabriel, Usenbor Aghosa Austin, Precious Osayi, Salman Abdullahi, Iseri Ochuko and Okator Emeka
Others are Usehbor Eghosa Auhin, Chime Gabriel Onyebuchi, Amas Randy Ehingiator, Osabee Jerry Olabor, Wisdom Usenbor, Etaga Uyuoma, Perokri Destiny, Chime Stephen, Eneome Daniel, Eneh Chukwuemeka, Kennet Okoduwa, Eze Nwaennezie Samuel, Igbinomwanhia Esosa, Igbinomwanhia Miracle, Olajiar Victor, Ekeainya Confidence, Akpa Anthony Somtochukwu and Abubakar Mohammed.
Items recovered from them include Mercedes Benz, Lexus and Toyota cars, mobile phones and laptop computers.
And the anti-graft agency said they will be charged to court as soon as the investigation is concluded
According to DAILY POST, there is a mass relocation of these criminals from the city centre to satellite towns such as the Dutse, Kubwa, Ushafa, Bwari and Gwarinpa, while others find safety in towns along the Airport Road, such as Lugbe, among others.
Many Nigerians believe that the EFCC is doing more in their efforts to clamp down on fraudsters than they are doing in bringing corrupt politicians and public office holders to book.
There are almost daily reports of EFCC arresting these fraudsters with the majority of them in city centres of Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, Enugu and other cities across the country.
And on this, an official of the EFCC, who would not want to be mentioned on the ground that he is not permitted to speak, said, “Well, in this country of ours, people will complain when you fail to do your work and make discouraging comments when you perfectly carry out your duty. EFCC is one Commission whose officials don’t listen to side talks. We are focused on the job of purging the society of financial and economic crimes, be it perpetrated by politicians or anybody else.
“EFCC has been arresting politicians but we do not carry out arrests without carrying out investigations and obtaining viable reasons. You can recall the recent arrest and detention of a former Anambra State Governor and a serving Senator from Imo State. There are many such politicians on the EFCC list, some of them are evading arrest but nobody is bigger than Nigerian laws. So it’s wrong, I mean, out of point, to say that the EFCC is only chasing Yahoo boys. Please, that notion is wrong.”
Asked what he makes of the relocation of Yahoo boys from city centres to satellite towns, the Deputy Public Relations officer of the FCT Police Command, ASP Oduniyi Omotayo, said it was not the duty of the police to check who is relocating from one town to another unless such person or group has been reported for a crime.
“And if you see any one committing or to be found to have committed a crime, report such a person. That is where the police come in. We cannot be monitoring people relocating to other places when there’s freedom of movement,” he said.
A lifeless body of a yet-to-be-identified young lady was recently found around PW Bridge in Kubwa, Bwari Area Council Abuja.
Residents said the body of the victim was cut into pieces, packed in a bag and dumped at a river bank in the area.
Asked if this could be linked to Yahoo Plus, ASP Omotayo, said that “Investigations are still ongoing”, adding that though it could be associated with ritual killing, it cannot be connected to any group until investigations are concluded.
On why these fraudsters are now relocating to satellite towns, the EFCC official added, “When you live in big mansions in Asokoro, Maitama, Wuse, Garki and other such areas in Abuja, some people, maybe your neighbours would ask questions. With the way Nigeria is today and with stories being heard, people would want to know your occupation and for how long will you continue to lie and deceive them.
“It is right to say that the majority of these Yahoo boys are now living in these satellite towns. We have intelligence on their activities and our recent arrests can tell you. But no matter where they are, as long as they are in Nigeria, they will not find a safe haven.
“Abuja is different from Lagos. But that is not to say that they are comfortable in Lagos. But they are very easily identified here in Abuja. Here in Abuja, people will easily ask questions by the time you drive luxury cars and live flamboyant lifestyles and this is the major reason they’ve now relocated to Kubwa, Ushafa, Bwari, Kubwa and other towns. But it’s just a matter of time.”
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News9 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News5 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment6 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
