News
King Sunny Ade Fathered Me 52 Years Ago, Refused DNA Test, Woman Alleges
Elizabeth Ayeni, a 52-year-old Osun State resident, has claimed that Sunday Adeniyi, popularly known as King Sunny Ade (KSA), a veteran Nigerian musician, is her father.
Ayeni said that until 2020, she did not know her biological father. This changed when Funmilayo Olakunle, her aged mother, disclosed to her that Adeniyi impregnated her sometime in 1970.
Since then, she has made several attempts to reach him, but all efforts proved abortive. Her efforts to get him to do a DNA test have also not been successful.
“I learned that my mother’s husband was not my father, so I asked her about it. She told me my father’s name was Niyi, and he was from Ondo State,” Ayeni told FIJ. “She then told me he was the famous King Sunny Ade, which surprised me.”

Elizabeth Ayeni
“She explained that she met Sunny Ade once when on a trip with a friend, and they had a one-night stand, but she lost contact with him as there were no telephones at the time. She wanted to abort the pregnancy as her family wanted her to marry someone.
“After giving birth to me, she left me with her parents, and I grew up without mother and father. It was recently that I decided to find out where I descended from, so I asked my mother.”
She said before setting out to find and ask her mother, she had received a revelation in a church in Ogun State. “A pastor told me all of it,” she said.
After Olakunle mentioned KSA as her daughter’s father, both of them set out to meet him at his residence in Ondo State, but were unsuccessful.
“All the times we went to see KSA, we could not see him. We dropped a letter along with a photograph of myself,” Ayeni added.
She said upon returning to Lagos, one of Sunny Ade’s aides called to ask if she was still around, but she was not. “The elderly man then said, ‘Your daddy wants to speak to you,’” Ayeni said.
Sunny Ade spoke on the phone and promised to call her back, according to her, but it has been two years now.
HOW I MET AND GOT PREGNANT FOR SUNNY ADE — Olakunle
Olakunle said she was in Osun State in 1970 when one Olu, a friend of hers who is now late, asked her to accompany him to Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital. In a brief submitted to Gani Fawehinmi Human Rights Foundation (GFHRF), she said she and Olu made a stop in Ondo State to eat. It was at a restaurant that she met KSA.
“Sunny Ade made a pass at me, and paid for our meal,” Olakunle said. “Afterwards, he requested that we make out. I told him that my menstrual cycle had lapsed three days before our meeting and my chances of getting pregnant were high.

Funmilayo Olakunle
“He allayed my fears and told me not to worry. We had unprotected sex, and I continued with Olu on the journey. A month after, I discovered I had missed my period.”
She said she made several attempts to reach him but did not get a response.
Taiwo Abiodun, a representative of the GFHRF, said that the foundation had on multiple occasions written to KSA to make himself available for a DNA test to ascertain the veracity of the claim, but he did not respond.
FIJ called KSA’s spokesman who identified simply as Dayo, and he declined to comment. He said he would refer FIJ to Sunny Ade’s legal representatives, but weeks after, he has not done so. He also did not respond to messages sent to him.
Fij
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News9 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News5 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment6 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
