News
Russia-Ukraine war latest news: LIVE UPDATES OF DAY 5
The outlook for the Russian economy is “dire”, according to one analyst, as the impact of western sanctions on Vladimir Putin’s regime began to be felt.
The rouble crashed more than 40% in value in early trading on Monday, slumping from 83.7 to the US dollar to 119.
A tough day looks in store for the Central Bank of Russia which has had its assets frozen as part of the sanctions and will be limited in how much it can support the currency.

A chart from tradingeconomics.com showing the movement of the US dollar against the rouble. Photograph: Trading Economics
“The situation is dire for the Russian economy,” said Christopher Vecchio, senior strategist with IG Group’s DailyFX.com in New York.
“Now unable to import or export goods and services thanks to the Swift sanctions, unable to sell foreign currency reserves thanks to the [central bank] asset freeze, and a Russian economy ringfenced from the global financial system, a currency crisis has emerged for Russia. High inflation is coming, as is an immediate lurch into recession.”
Other market moves include a 5% jump in Brent crude oil and a more losses on Asian stock markets where Putin’s raising of the nuclear threat has spooked investors.
Last Updated: 04:57 Monday, 28 February 2022
10m ago
Here’s a look at how the crisis is playing out in some of the world’s media:
Tomorrow’s @nytimes front page. Another double stacked six-column head and 4 Ukraine stories. pic.twitter.com/CRxqIifGWX
— carolynryan 🏳️🌈🏓 (@carolynryan) February 28, 2022
Last Updated: 04:52 Monday, 28 February 2022
16m ago
Over 90% of Ukrainians have said they support president Volodymyr
Zelenskiy, according to a poll conducted by the Rating Sociological group this weekend.
According to the data compiled from two thousand respondents from across Ukraine, 91% of respondents backed Zelenskiy, only 6% said they did not support him and 3% remained undecided.
The support is a threefold increase from December last year.
Residents in Crimea and the rebel-held areas in eastern Ukraine were excluded from the survey, according to the BBC.
When asked about the chances of Ukraine being able to repel the Russian assault, 70% said they believed it was possible.
Last Updated: 04:47 Monday, 28 February 2022
29m ago
Canada has said Aeroflot Flight 111 violated its airspace closure for Russian flights
Transport Canada said they are aware that Aeroflot flight 111 “violated the prohibition put in place earlier today on Russian flights using Canadian airspace” and would be “launching a review” of the conduct of the aircraft and the independent air navigation service provider, NAVCAN.
“We will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action and other measures to prevent future violations,” the agency said.
Last Updated: 04:38 Monday, 28 February 2022
46m ago
Japanese chief cabinet secretary Hirokazu Matsuno said on Monday that Japan was asked to join in measures blocking Russia from Swift by western nations and was working with them to make the measures effective, Reuters reports.
He said Japan will continue to cooperate with other nations, including the G7, but declined to comment when asked about sanctions on the Russian central bank.
Last Updated: 04:17 Monday, 28 February 2022
1h ago
US president Joe Biden is set to host a call with western allies and partners on Monday at 11.15am ET (4.15pm GMT) to discuss developments regarding Russia’s attack on Ukraine and to coordinate united response, the White House has said in a statement.
Last Updated: 04:05 Monday, 28 February 2022
1h ago
A missile has reportedly hit a residential building in the centre of Chernihiv, causing a fire to break out, Ukraine’s state service of special communications is reporting.
Chernihiv is about 150km north-east of Kyiv.
“A rocket hit a residential building in the centre of Chernihiv. A fire broke out, two lower floors are on fire. The number of injured is currently unknown,” the agency said in a brief statementon the Telegram messaging app.
The development follows reports from the Kyiv Independent newspaper of an air raid alert that sounded in the city about4.30am local time with residents being urged to head to the nearest shelter.
Last Updated: 03:58 Monday, 28 February 2022
1h ago
Zelenskiy says next 24 hours ‘crucial period’ in call to Johnson
In his call with Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy, British prime minister Boris Johnson said the UK would not only continue to supply defensive weapons to Ukraine but would assist other countries in doing so as well.
According to a recently released statement, a No 10 spokesman said:
PRESIDENT ZELENSKIY SAID HE BELIEVED THE NEXT 24 HOURS WAS A CRUCIAL PERIOD FOR UKRAINE, AND THE PRIME MINISTER SAID HE WOULD DO ALL HE COULD TO HELP ENSURE DEFENSIVE AID FROM THE UK AND ALLIES REACHED UKRAINE.”
The call follows a donors conference on Friday where defence secretary Ben Wallace said Britain would deal with the logistics of getting equipment into a war zone.
The UK has also said it will send £40m more in aid to provide vital medical supplies and assistance to Ukraine, widening economic and military support to bolster the Ukrainian resistance to the Russian invasion.
Last Updated: 03:49 Monday, 28 February 2022
2h ago
Blasts are being heard in the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv and in the major city of Kharkiv on Monday morning, Ukraine’s state service of special communications has said.
Kyiv had been quiet for a few hours prior to that, it said in a brief statement on the Telegram messaging app.
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1498076908860456964?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1498076908860456964%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=file%3A%2F%2F%2Fprivate%2Fvar%2Fcontainers%2FBundle%2FApplication%2FBFC773AA-9291-41C8-98CB-FF3811FE5FD7%2FGLA.app%2FArticleTemplates%2F
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News10 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News6 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment7 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
