Connect with us

News

HURIWA Knocks DSS For ‘Banning’ Lawyers, Others From Reaching Nnamdi Kanu

Published

on

Civil rights advocacy group, Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria(HURIWA), on Tuesday, lambasted the Department of State Services, DSS, for allegedly denying Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, access to his lawyers, “contrary to court orders.”

HURIWA, in a statement by its National Coordinator, Comrade Emmanuel Onwubiko, said the actions of the secret police against the detained Biafra agitator, if verified, represents the highest manifestation of lawlessness and blatant disregard to the judiciary by the DSS.

According to media reports, DSS on Monday and last Thursday, barred Kanu’s lawyers from meeting him in custody.

Special counsel for the IPOB leader, Aloy Ejimakor, said the secret police prevented them from meeting Kanu, an act Ejimakor said was in contravention of the order of Justice Binta Nyako of a Federal High Court in Abuja that Kanu has access to his lawyers twice a week – Mondays and Thursdays.

Ejimakor said, “Last Thursday, we were not allowed visitation with Onyendu because, according to DSS, the “special squad” in charge of visitations went on “outside assignment”. They asked us to come on Monday (today). Today (Monday), we‘re at DSS. They’re telling us the same thing. We disagree.”

HURIWA condemned the alleged “lawlessness and highhandedness of the secret police since the abduction of Kanu from Kenya in June 2021”.

In the statement, HURIWA stated that the secret police had been “flouting the orders of Justice Nyako and the judge had not deemed it fit to hammer any sanction on the DSS”.

The statement reads, “The judge had ordered that the DSS give Kanu maximum comfort in custody including change of clothes, access and usage of his Jewish materials and other items of his faith as well as freedom to converse with other detainees in DSS custody in Abuja.

“But it is ridiculously shocking that the DSS continues to flout the orders of the judge with impunity and the judge sees no reason to slam a sanction on the secret police which is meant to uphold the law. The contempt application against the DG of DSS reportedly filed by the lawyers to Mazi Nnamdi Kanu is said not to have been heard or even transmitted to any judge for adjudication thereby triggering the suspicion that the Nigerian judiciary has surrendered her constitutional powers to the executive arm of government that commands and controls the DSS”.

“The judge had also ruled that the DSS allow Kanu access to his lawyers and any person he deems fit to visit him but the failure to comply by the DSS has not attracted any sanction.

“The manner and mistreatment of Kanu in detention is bothersome. Kanu not being allowed to change his clothes because the DSS said he can’t put on Isi Agu a traditional clothes of the Igbo race, an explanation that flies in the face of reason and good conscience and questions the intention of the DSS in this utterly discriminatory policy that offends Section 42(1) of the 1999 Constitution.

“Journalists, activists and other persons monitoring the trial of Kanu have also been arrested and released after cocktails of harassment and subjected to dehumanising conditions by hyperactive and overzealously lawless security agents.

“Let the whole world know that Abba Kyari who is facing drug trafficking offences has not even been paraded before the public eye but Kanu has been dehumanised beyond words.

“Justice Nyako must know that the failure of the DSS to obey the orders of her court looks like the crippling of the independence of the judiciary and offensive to Section 6 of the Nigerian Constitution. The denial of access to His lawyers seems to be the highest manifestation of lawlessness and arbitrariness which is a direct threat to judicial independence and infringes on his fundamental rights.

“HURIWA, thereby, calls for the monitoring of the prosecution by accredited credible non-governmental bodies and for the DSS to give access to Kanu’s family, lawyers and credible civil rights platforms that get the permission of the detainee and the DSS to visit and assess the situation of his detention.”

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending