Connect with us

News

Shangisha Landlords Petition Buhari Over Lagos Govt’s Breach Of Settlement Process

Published

on

• As Lagos seeks Supreme Court’s judgment interpretation

 

There appears to be no hope in sight for the Shangisha Landlords’ Association in their attempt to get their properties back, as Lagos State government has sought further directives and clarifications from the Supreme Court judgment.

Worried by government’s inertia in returning the 549 plots of lands allegedly taken from them in the Magodo area, the association has also petitioned President, Muhammadu matter.

The Magodo land tussle started in 1984 when the Lagos State government and its civil servants allegedly invaded the properties in Magodo area of Shangisha and demolished them, taking possession by force.

The landlords had approached the court to seek redress, both at the State High Court, the Court of Appeal to which the state appealed and at the Supreme Court, where the state further appealed and judgment, subsequently awarded in their favour in 2012.

In the judgment, the state government was ordered to give the Shangisha landlord’s association 549 plots of land in Magodo Phase 11 but the government has so far not responded.

The landlords, in an open letter written to President Buhari, accused the judgment debtor of indefinite discontinuation of the settlement process and described government’s inaction as an attempt to legitimise corruption, since it is in public knowledge that many of its officials are illegal occupants in the Shangisha-Magodo scheme.

In the petition letter jointly signed by the association chairman, Adebayo Adeyiga and the secretary, Mr. Ayanbadejo, the group said: “As of January 28, 2022, government stated verbally that over 400 plots had been discovered and as a consequence the meeting was adjourned to February 11 for them to conclude what needed to be done.

“On February 11, 2022, we proceeded to the venue of the meeting, which we had thought would be the grand finale to harmonise our positions and would be an ideal opportunity to see the layout of the plots and visit the portion, we were informed without prior notice that the meeting had been postponed indefinitely. ”

In the ‘Save our Soul’ petition, the association urged President Buhari to intervene in the impasse based on the reason that he assumed leadership of the country on the premise of not only fighting corruption, but upholding the rule of law.

According to them, the discontinuation of the settlement process indefinitely by the Lagos state government is nothing but an attempt to legitimise corruption.

They urged the President, to call the Lagos State government to order as government’s action is deceitful.

The association said: ” It is dishonourable in all circumstances and capable of destroying this democracy and for a government that has benefitted massively from previous judgment of the Supreme Court, this is a new low and smacks of double standards.”

After several meetings to resolve the matter, police officers allegedly led landowners in the area to invade Magodo Estate, to claim possession of the property based on the Supreme Court’s judgment, which caused tension in the neigbourhood.

The state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu during the meeting with the stakeholders on January 5, 2022, had pledged through a special committee led by the Attorney General of Lagos State and several other top officials that government will identify land within the Shangisha Estate and other parts of the state to get the 549 plots of land for the aggrieved landlords to resolve the land dispute.

Meanwhile, the State Government said it has approached the Supreme Court to seek further directives and clarifications on the matter. The Judgment creditors have been served with the application.

The government reiterated its commitment to complying with the judgment of the Supreme Court once these two issues are resolved. According to the government, “there was a serious division among the judgment creditors as to who controlled or had the right to represent the association; and the demand by the judgment creditors that a single global Certificate of Occupancy (CofO)should be issued in the name of the association as opposed to the position of the government that each of the 549 members of the association would be given allotment letters individually.”

A statement by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, said: “Given the sharp divide between the two factions of the judgment creditors on who has authority to represent the association and the disagreement regarding whom the C of O should be issued (collectively or individually).

 

Advertisement

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending