Connect with us

News

Aregbesola Vs Tinubu: Buhari, IGP, Told To Act Fast To Avoid Bloodletting

Published

on

Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria, HURIWA, has called on security agents to quickly halt the unfolding political thuggery in Osun State ahead of the All Progressives Congress, APC primary election.

In a statement on Tuesday, National Coordinator of HURIWA, Emmanuel Onwubiko, said the call became urgent with the supremacist tussle and the battleline drawn by the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola; National Leader of the APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and incumbent governor of the state, Gboyega Oyetola.

DAILY POST reported earlier that Aregbesola had attacked Tinubu, saying that the APC National leader has assumed the position of God, vowing that God will bring him down.

Aregbesola, Osun State governor from 2010 to 2018, and Oyetola, who is seeking reelection, have been at loggerheads for some time over the control of the APC organ in the state. Both politicians belong to the same ruling APC.

Aregbesola had on Monday visited the Ijebu Jesa of Osun State and declared support for former Secretary to the State Government, Moshood Adeoti, in Saturday’s governorship primary, and vowed to give Oyetola the Akinwunmi Ambode treatment.

DAILY POST recalls that Ambode was ejected out of office as Lagos State governor after just one term in 2019 due to intra-party squabbles.

The minister also declared war against his erstwhile political mentors and associates supporting Oyetola for reelection including APC chieftain, Bola Tinubu; and ex-Osun governor, Bisi Akande.

Also, the security details in Aregbesola’s convoy were on Monday said to have created panic in Osogbo as heavy shooting rented the air when the minister was passing through the Old Garage Area of the state capital.

According to reports, the Osun State Police Command and the Oyetola administration said operatives of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Nigeria Correctional Service and Immigration Service in the convoy of Aregbesola shot without provocation along the Old Garage and MDS in Osogbo metropolis, as the convoy passed through the area but the security details also reportedly said they shot to repel an attack on the ex-governor.

Commenting on the development, HURIWA called on the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba, to mobilise policemen and anti-riot operatives for Saturday’s APC primary in Osun State.

“The Monday shooting is only a precursor to greater danger looming in the state this political season. Security agents must be at alert and rein in on mischief-makers and political thugs no matter whose camp they belong,” HURIWA National Coordinator, Emmanuel Onwubiko, said in the statement.

Onwubiko added, “Political officeholders whether at the state or federal levels must desist from using elections as a show of might and to cause a breach of public peace.

“While HURIWA is not concerned about the rivalry between Aregbesola and Oyetola factions within the APC, it is important to call on the APC leaders at the centre including President Muhammadu Buhari to call Aregbesola, Oyetola and other warring factions to order ahead of Saturday’s governorship primary.

“Politics thrive in the absence of tension, intimidation and threat to life. Members of the APC in Osun should go peacefully to the ballot this Saturday and elect their candidate.

“Oyetola, Aregbesola and other factional leaders in Osun APC should be made to sign a peace pact before February 19, 2022. Both Oyetola and Aregbesola should be held accountable for any breach of public peace arising from the governorship primary election this Saturday.”

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending