Connect with us

News

Boko Haram: How a 14 year-old blind girl walk out of Sambisa forest with a stick in Nigeria

Published

on

By Dilibe Michael

It was midnight when Amina Modu and her co-blind friend, Ya Arkwai, crept out of Sassawa, a deadly Boko Haram camp in Northeast Nigeria’s Sambisa forest that had been her home for than three years.

She walked through the deadly forest for several days before she found help. Like the other girls conscripted by the militants, she had been told that she would be hunted down and killed if she deserted.

Amina was just 11 years old when militants invaded her town in Bama, butchering her father, set her home ablazed, abducted hundreds of men and women, and forcing them to become terrorist.

She lost her vision shortly after birth due to lack of proper medical care when growing up in Bama. Like the majority of blind population in Nigeria, Amina and her family lived below the poverty line.

Amina who was currently an Internally Displaced Persons in Dalori IDPs camp in Maiduguri, could still vividly recalled her involuntary marriage to Modu Yarimai, a blind Boko Haram commander of the dreaded terrorist sect at Jodari village, one week after her abduction in 2014.

Being a teenage girl was already difficult enough so imagine also being blind and sexually assulted at the age of 11 by a Boko Haram who abducted you and kill your father, That’s the horrible reality for Amina.

“Many women were forced to have sex with their captors under brutal, inhumane conditions. Many were in agonizing physical pain, pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases and bleak conditions.

“I was left with no option than to marry him because I had no one else to fall back to,”said Amina, as she recounted her horrific experiance.

“Women who refused to marry members of the sect, were humiliated and beaten while other were strapped with IEDs and sent for suicide mission for the consequencies of thier action.

“Many of the children captured by the terrorist were trained to become fighters. Others serve as spies, scouts, cooks, and bodyguards for officers. Girls are also kept as sex slaves.

“Many of the girls at the camp became pregnant for thier rapist. I did not get pragnant because i was only 11 year-old so i was yet to be matured to have a baby.

“After exactly one month at the camp, life became very tough for us. Thier was food scarcity as the army keep throwing bombs into our camps, forcing us to move from one camp to another for safety.

“Sometimes, we had to move around with my new blind husband to beg for food from other Boko Haram members. They laugh at us. We have passed through many night with empty stomach.

“When our situation became unbearable, Yarimai decided to divorce me. He told me one Friday that he could no longer take care of me. He told me he had perfected plans to escape out of the camp to Michika in Adamawa state.

“Soon after he left, we moved to another camp in Sassawa, Sambisa forest where we spent three years. The Amir’s (Commanders), in the new camp were very deadly and ruthless. They send women aged 7 years-old for suicide mission to Maiduguri and kill people at will.

“Nobody gets in, and nobody gets out alive; thats what our Amir’s always tell us. She said

“But things took a different turn, when i met Bunu Mohammed, a 12 year old, who was kidnapped from Bama. Mohammed spent only 7 months at the camp but witnessed many of his fellow captives murdered for no reason. That was when he decided to risk his life to escape.

“Muhammed help me and Ya’arkwai to escape safely through the forest with the use of the walking stick. After several weeks in the forest without food and water, we finally found ourselves in Bama.

“Shortly after surrendering ourselves to the military, Ya’arkwai died at Bama hospital after short illment. Muhammed and myself got reunited with our families after spending some months at the military detention facility.

“I am currently an IDP at Dalori camp with my Mother and two siblings. Meeting my family, reminds me of the old feelings such as love and empathy. I now attend primary school at the UNICEF school in the camp,”she said.

Amina said she hoped to be an English teacher to impact knowledge to others in the future.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending