News
Reactions Trail Police Detention Of MAPOLY Student For Buying Contraceptives, Pregnancy Test Kit
The police in Ogun State have arrested and detained a graduating student of Moshood Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta for being in possession of pregnancy test kit and contraceptives.
The female student, Irenimofe Olanipekun, said she was picked up around Oluwo-Adigbe area of Abeokuta and placed behind bars after buying the items from a pharmacy.
According to her, a policeman had on Friday stopped her to confirm what she had in a polythene bag in her hand.
She said the policeman got her detained for having the test kit and contraceptive, saying, “They (the police) were just shouting why am I having sex; can’t I remain a virgin for my husband?”
The 24-year-old Olanipekun stated that she was released about two hours after her arrest when her sister had already raised the alarm on the social media.
She said that the pharmacist who sold the drug to her was arrested for questioning, but she was released few minutes after.
The Ogun State police spokesman, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said the police were only doing their duties by questioning her to know whether or not she had a doctor’s prescription to get the items.
“The command has released her since morning. She was questioned if she has a doctor’s prescription,” Oyeyemi said.
But Nigerians have condemned the action of the police, questioning when it became a crime to have sex or procure pills and test kits at age 24.
Residents of Oluwo, who spoke to our correspondent, said the officers at Oluwo police post are “fond of illegal arrest to extort students and commercial motorcyclists” known as Okada riders.
They called on the Ogun State Police Commissioner, Lanre Bankole to caution his men in Adigbe division and those posted to Oluwo.
Meanwhile, MAPOLY Students’ Union Government has cautioned those trying to take undue advantage of Olanipekun’s arrest, saying the issue has been resolved.
In a statement made available to our correspondent on Sunday, the MAPOLY SUG President, Babatunde Adeola, said: “The Students’ Union President of Moshood Abiola Polytechnic received a distress call that one of our students was arrested by the police. She was accused of buying pregnancy test strip and post pills (contraceptive drugs); as reported by her sister, a resident of Lagos State and some concerned students of the school.
“We hereby urge you all to disregard the false information spreading round as regards to the matter. No lawyer was involved in the issue. The drug with her was only postpill and nothing more. The student’s bail was granted immediately after the Students’ Union President, Comrade Babatunde Adeola, visited the police station for intervention.
“Our attention has been drawn to some unknown elements trying to make use of the story for personal and financial gain, and we call on Ogun State Police command to disregard anyone trying to make issue out of none from the story as the case has been settled.
“Disregard any counter story to the narration above, and also do away with sharing false information.”
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News11 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News7 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment8 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
