News
Biafra: Yoruba, Efik Groups Join CNG Suit For Referendum
…Case adjourns till March 14
The demand for a referendum on secession of Biafra from Nigeria assumed a front burner on Thursday with the Yoruba Nation and Efik ethnic nationalities filing an application to be part of the suit filed by the Coalition of Northern Groups.
The CNG had in June 2021 dragged the National Assembly, Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), to Court asking them to conduct a referendum to determine the fate of Biafra agitators.
The case was first adjourned till January 20, 2022, after Justice Inyang Ekwo could not sit due to an official assignment.
But the case could not be heard again on Thursday because the Judge was said to be indisposed.
The counsel for CNG, Safiyanu Idris, told Journalists that the case had been adjourned again, to March 14, 2022, because Justice Ekwo was absent.
“Since the last adjournment, the matter was adjourned to today (January 20) for the continuation of motion as they are people that have filed an application to join the suit.
“We came here for the applications but it happened that the Judge is also not sitting today.
“But in between the time, there is a particular group. The Ijaw group have filed an application for joinder in the matter. Now the matter is adjourned to the 14 of March 2022.
The CNG had gone to Court to seek a referendum to determine the fate of Biafra and other separatist organisations in Nigeria.
The Spokesperson of CNG, Abdul-Azeez Suleiman, has explained why the coalition filed the suit.
He said, “What we are doing is to save the country, ourselves and the future of the country because these people are becoming violent already. Most of the people engaged in this activity are below 50.
“So, if we allow our leaders to leave us with these people in this situation, there may be another bloodshed or civil war. That is what we want to avoid, which is why we came to the court to interpret the situation.
“One of the issues for determination in the substantive suit has to do with the legal obligation of the 2nd – 4th defendants/respondents to provide a framework that will pave the way for the self-determination of the South-Eastern states and any other enclave that wants to go so as to leave the geographical entity called Nigeria before any further step is taken to review the constitution.”
Speaking on the decision by the Yoruba Nation Global Directorate to join the suit for the Yoruba Nation the counsel that took conduct of the matter for the Yoruba nation, Barrister Timilehin Odunwo, said, the Yoruba Nation Global Directorate deemed it fit to join this suit on the ground that not only the Igbo is interested in leaving this contraption called Nigeria, the Yoruba nation is also interested.
“Therefore, any call for a referendum should cut across the board of all ethnic Nationalities within Nigeria.
He considered it appropriate for every Nationalities to have the right to determine whether to live in the Nigeria or to move out.
He continues,
“As you know, self-determination is a very sacrosanct right of every citizen and Nationalities and it is recognized by the international laws.
“Therefore, it is incumbent on the National Assembly, if our application is granted to let everybody ethnic Nationalities within Nigeria make their decision whether to stay or leave the Nigeria.
He opined that “You cannot force an unwilling Nationalities to remain within Nigeria. It will not work.”
Also, Lead Counsel to Old Calabar Province which is made up of Akwa Ibom and Cross River states, Sunday Uko Afiko said, “We do not want to sit at home while they barb our hair in our absence. So, we came all the way from Uyo to be part of this matter.
“But it is quite unfortunate that the Court is not sitting. We hope that the next adjourn date which is March 14 that the court would sit, we will move our motion and be part of this case which has to decide the fate of everybody. We are not opposing the application.”
“We are saying that it should not just be the South Eastern states that should leave; everybody should be given the opportunity to decide whether they want to be part of Nigeria or not.
“We want to also be given the opportunity to decide our fate. Let there be a national referendum for everybody to vote,” he said.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
