Connect with us

News

FG Begins Giving Pfizer Vaccine As Booster Shots, US Donates 2.5 Million Doses

Published

on

The Federal Government will today (Friday) begin the administration of booster doses of COVID-19 vaccines for Nigerians that have completed two doses of AstraZeneca, Moderna, Pfizer BioNTech or one dose of Johnson & Johnson.

The National Primary Healthcare Development Agency (NPHCDA) had said eligible Nigerians should visit health centres and mass vaccination sites from December 10 to get their booster dose.

The Executive Director of the National Primary Healthcare Development Agency, Faisal Shuaib, stated this on Thursday in Abuja as the Africa Centre for Disease Control, an agency of the African Union, kicked against the introduction of booster doses in African countries.

Nigeria had on March 5,2021 commenced COVID-19 vaccination with a total of 3.94 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine from the COVAX institute of India.

This was followed by a vaccination break due to the ban of vaccine transportation by the Serum Institute of India, the main supplier to the COVAX facility.

In August, Nigeria resumed her second phase of vaccine with donations of moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines which were received through donations from foreign countries.

The country also received several doses of the J and J vaccine which it procured through a joint partnership with other African Union countries through the AVATT facility.

So far in Nigeria, only a total of 3,867,815 have been fully vaccinated with a total of 7,449,989 taking the first dose.

The Nigerian government had also mentioned its plan to vaccinate about 70 perc ent of its population by 2022, a move which experts had doubted following the country’s low vaccination rate.

The Presidential Steering Committee on COVID-19 a few days ago directed vaccinated Nigerians to go for booster doses following detection of three cases of Omicron variant of the virus in the country.

Before the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control announced the cases, Canada had said it detected the variant in three persons with travel history to Nigeria.

The North American country subsequently placed a travel ban on Nigeria.

Other countries that have placed travel ban on Nigeria include the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia and Indonesia.

In Abuja on Thursday, Shuaib stated, “The Federal Government reviewed the country’s vaccination programme and resolved to introduce the booster dose using the Pfizer Bio-N-Tech vaccine across the country. This will take effect from tomorrow, Friday the 10th of December 2021.

“It is pertinent to reiterate the fact that the Nigerian COVID-19 vaccination programme is science-driven. Evidence has shown that the booster dose further increases protection against the virus.

“Eligibility for the booster dose includes being 18 years and above, fully vaccinated with either two doses of AstraZeneca, Moderna or Pfizer Bio-N-Tech or a single dose of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. The time interval before the booster dose is at least six months for these vaccines, except the Johnson and Johnson which is at least two months.

“This is another opportunity to be further protected. I therefore urge all those who have taken the right decision to be fully vaccinated, to walk into the nearest vaccination site for their booster dose as from tomorrow (Friday).”

A coronavirus booster vaccine dose helps improve the protection after receiving the first two doses.

You can’t talk of booster jabs, when some people haven’t received any – AU centre

But the Director of the Africa CDC, Dr John Nkengason while fielding questions from journalists during the weekly press briefing on Thursday said, “African nations have procured 431 million vaccine doses so far and administered 245 million. You can’t even talk of a booster when you have people who haven’t received their first dose.

“We only have about 7.35 per cent who are fully vaccinated. We are far from even bothering about a booster. We need to get people to take their vaccines. However with the elderly and the immunocompromised because of the decay of antibodies, they should have booster shots.

On the issue of imposition of the vaccine mandate, Nkengasong said, “We can’t win this battle against COVID-19 vaccination. I think that my first order would be to appeal to people to get their vaccine. The second is that if people refuse, then the government will not have a choice but to impose vaccine mandates.

“We do not need to get there if we do the right thing. How long will we be going on with restrictions? We need to go out there and get vaccines.

US donates additional 2.5m doses of COVID-19 vaccines to Nigeria

In a related development, the United States Embassy has received 2.5 million Pfizer vaccine doses in Abuja, which were presented to the National Primary Health Care Development Agency for cold storage.

The vaccines will be distributed to over 3,000 health facilities across the country.

The mission in a statement on Thursday, titled, ‘US donates additional 2.5 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines to Nigeria this week,’ said the vaccines would be available at major markets, shopping malls, event centres, motor parks, airports, places of employment, and religious institutions as part of Nigeria’s mass vaccination campaign.

It said, “To date, the United States has donated more than 13.5 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine in partnership with COVAX, or bilaterally to Nigeria.

“Additionally, the United States has provided more than $119 million in COVID-19 related health assistance. This includes a 40-bed mobile field hospital, ventilators and related training for 88 hospitals, personal protective equipment, technical assistance for vaccine readiness, risk communication and demand generation for vaccines, conducting an epidemiological COVID-19 detection and vaccine hesitancy survey, setting up electronic record systems, rapid response teams, training for over 200,000 military and civilian personnel on COVID-19 control measures, and technology for virtual training.”

In addition, the US said it had also leveraged the PEPFAR-supported National Integrated Specimen Referral Network and laboratory investments to support the expansion of the 153 molecular laboratory network nationwide.

The mission quoted the US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, who noted earlier this month that “the COVID-19 pandemic won’t end for any country until it ends for all countries.

“Otherwise, the virus will keep replicating around the world, people will keep getting sick and dying, and we won’t be able to safely reopen our economies or travel around the world for business and tourism the way we used to. That’s why the United States is committed to helping end the pandemic in Nigeria and everywhere.”

The US expressed its commitment to donate more than one billion vaccine doses around the world, by early 2022 and in African countries primarily through the COVAX initiative.

COVID-19 cases on rise, WHO says as Nigeria logs 1,072 cases in 10 days

Meanwhile, the Africa regional office of the World Health Organisation on Thursday said that the omicron variant was reaching more countries in Africa. This is as the health body in a statement it released stated that “Weekly COVID-19 cases in the continent surged by 93 per cent”.

According to the statement, Africa recorded 107,000 cases in the week ending on December 5, 2021 which was a sharp increase from the 55,000 cases reported in the previous week.

“Research is being intensified to determine whetheOmicron is fuelling the surge in cases seen in Africa. With the end of the year travel and festivities upon us, limited vaccination, rising COVID-19 cases and the new variant paint an ominous picture for our region”, The WHO regional director for Africa, Dr. Moeti Mathshidiodo was quoted in the statement

Meanwhile, analysis of the daily COVID-19 reports released by the NCDC has revealed that a total of 1,072 cases have been logged in the country, ten days after the announcement of the omicron variant in the country.

The country reports that the cases peaked on December 9, 2021 when the number of cases reported was disclosed as 268. On November 21, 2021, Nigeria reported a total of 21 cases, the lowest number of cases logged within the period under analysis.

Also, in the weekly situation report released by the WHO Africa regional office, it was revealed that so far a total of 3,175 Nigerian health workers have been infected with the coronavirus disease since the beginning of the pandemic.

Presently, a total of 144,745 health workers have been infected in Africa with the majority of the infected health workers in South Africa (71,113).

On the charts, Nigeria currently ranks 9th in the number of infected health workers.

19 Omicron cases in UK flew directly from Nigeria – Envoy

Meanwhile, the British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Catriona Laing, says 19 persons who tested positive for the Omicron strain of the coronavirus, boarded direct flights from Nigeria to the United Kingdom while two others visited Nigeria among other countries.

Laing, therefore, stated that the decision of the UK to place Nigeria on the red list was not discriminatory but based on science.

The UK envoy said this during an interview on Channels Television’s Network Africa programme which aired on Thursday.

The Nigerian government as well as the National Assembly and governors had faulted the UK’s decision to ban all direct flights from Nigeria, describing it as discriminatory.

Laing, who admitted that the decision had also disrupted her Christmas plans, said the move was not discriminatory, adding that other European countries had also banned the UK earlier in the year over the spread of the Delta variant of COVID-19.

She said, “In terms of why Nigeria was added to our red list, I want to really stress the importance we attach to an objective evidence-based health system. The way this is done is that countries are reviewed by our health teams. Our health security agency actually work very closely with your NCDC

“Particularly what they look at in the case of Nigeria are two factors. The first is on December 4 when the decision was taken, there were 21 cases of Omicron arising from travellers coming from Nigeria to the UK. Nineteen of those were direct travel links. In other words, people who got on direct flights obviously from Abuja or Lagos and two were Nigeria was part of their travel itinerary.

“That was the second highest after South Africa. The second factor is that because we have such a strong relationship, the volume of travel from Nigeria to the UK is very high, much higher than many other African countries. Nigeria is one of our biggest markets for British Airways as well as one of their profitable routes. That is because of the volume of traffic.”

When asked if Nigeria would be within its rights to retaliate in the spirit of reciprocity, the British envoy said such a move would only be proper if it is evidence based.

 

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending