News
Kogi N20 Billion Bailout Scandal: Workers Fate Nailed As Funds Return To CBN
Last week Friday concerned Nigerians and followers of the controversial N20 billion Kogi workers’ bailout fund were told that the fund has been returned to the Central Bank of Nigeria.
Many have spoken to DAILY POST on the implication of returning money that would have alleviated the plight of workers in Kogi State.
Majority have tagged the government narrative a ‘cock and bull’ story spanning the period of seven months.
The mystery behind the Kogi State workers’ N20 billion has continued to shock analysts given the circumstances under which such a humongous amount of money was hidden in a Sterling bank account amid state workers’ misery, poverty and anguish.
Recall that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), one of Nigeria’s anti-graft agencies blew the lid open that the sum of N20 billion workers’ bailout fund, released to the Kogi State government by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) was kept in an interest yielding account number 0073772696 domiciled in a Sterling Bank.
The revelation led to denials and media theatrics and claims of the non-existence of such funds by those involved.
The EFCC in a 13-paragraph affidavit earlier deposed to by a member of the team of investigators had through relevant provisions in the Act that establishes it approached Justice Tijani Garba Ringim to freeze the account since the funds were not used for the purpose they were disbursed.
Now, after seven months of legal battle, the EFCC has secured a return of N19.33 billion Kogi State Salary bailout funds.
The development was confirmed by the Spokesperson of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr Wilson Uwujaren in a statement.
Part of the statement said: “The EFCC had earlier withdrawn its suit seeking the forfeiture of the N20 billion bailout funds granted to Kogi State government by Sterling Bank.
“The return of the money to CBN would effectively put to rest the campaign of misinformation and unconscionable denials by Kogi State government that no funds were recovered from its bailout account.”
But speaking with DAILY POST on Tuesday, the Executive Director of a popular Kogi based non-governmental organization, Initiative for Grassroot Advancement (INGRA), Comrade Hamza Aliyu said the kind of government in place in Kogi State since 2016 cannot be trusted.
He said the state workers’ audit which was carried out between 2016 and 2017 was targeted at sacking workers who would have benefitted from the bailout funds of N50.8 billion approved by the Central Bank of Nigeria for State and Local government employees during the previous administration of Idris Wada before Yahaya Bello inherited the funds.
Aliyu maintained that three institutions cannot be wrong even as the Kogi State government has continued to deny the existence of such funds domiciled in Sterling Bank.
He said: “Kogi State cannot be trusted. The audit which was carried out in 2016 and 2017 was meant to deny workers of bailout funds which has been approved before the administration of Yahaya Bello.
“Three institutions, that’s the EFCC, Court and the Central Bank of Nigeria cannot be wrong in the circumstances. My people said, in every smoke, there is a fire.
“The amount of money Kogi State government was accused of was weighty and instead of Kogi which claimed that such did not exist to go to Court, they were busy ranting on pages of newspapers.
“The EFCC is an investigative institution, and I believe it would not have approached the Court without evidence and since April till date, Kogi hasn’t proven the anti-graft agency wrong. Kogi State government is not only guilty and liable but corrupt and irresponsible.”
Meanwhile, a letter dated November 9, by the Central Bank of Nigeria which was addressed to the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, confirmed that the sum of N19,333,333,333.36 has been returned to its vault by Sterling Bank PLC as proceeds in the name of Kogi State Workers’ Salary account number, 0073772696.
The CBN’s confirmation letter was in response to EFCC’s letter of inquiry dated November 5, 2021, Ref. No. CR:3000/EFCC/LS/CMU/REC-STE/VOL.4/047 asking the anti-graft agency to furnish it with details of the funds in compliance with the October 15,.2021 order of a Federal High Court in Ikoyi, Lagos.
As anger continues to trail the return of the bailout funds, a female teacher in one of Kogi State-owned Secondary Schools in Ogaminana in the Central Senatorial district who pleaded anonymity lamented the plight of workers.
She told DAILY POST that she is on level 12 step 6 and gets between N17,600 and sometimes N16,000 as monthly salary.
According to her, no teacher was a happy person at the state and Local Governments’ level, stressing that when the controversial workers’ N20 billion bailout fund was made public in the press, they recalled how workers expected the intervention without any news at that time.
Also, a social critic, Comrade Austin Usman Okai lamented that the development has deepened Kogi workers’ woes, recalling that the funds were originally meant for payment of arrears of State and Local Government workers.
He said, former governor Idris Wada’s administration worked out the funds to the tune of N50.8 billion with State workers having 40%, while LG workers have 60%, adding that the CBN approved the amount, but delayed releasing it for political reasons.
He explained that the denial of the returned funds by agents of Yahaya Bello administration was criminal, particularly that every Kogite knew the history of that money, that it was part of the N50.8 billion bailout fund meant to offset workers’ salaries which to a large extent, the previous administration which applied for the funds had collated particulars of the workers before it abruptly left office.
Okai described Yahaya Bello as ‘Lord of the manor’, who cannot be questioned, a situation he said has brought governance in the State, “next to nothing”.
In his words: “Teachers on level 9 to 10 get N3,000 to N9000 monthly, depending on the mood of the governor in that month.
“The Nigeria Labour Congress cannot talk, nobody can question Bello.
“Even the Central Bank of Nigeria knew that they can’t prosecute Bello for now for not utilising the funds that were released to him.
“As we speak, Kogi State House of Assembly are on, doing the hatchet job and so Kogi State is in mess for now.
Speaking on the way forward, he said they were engaging the EFCC to investigate the State further as he believes the bailout scandal was the ‘tip of the iceberg.’
He further appealed to workers to be patient, given that they were on the losing side of life for now, but expressed hope that there was always another day for them to be wriggled out of the logjam they have found themselves.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News11 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News7 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment8 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
