News
EndSARS: Lawyers State Position As Report Punctures Buhari, Lai’s Defence For Military, Police Actions
The Lagos State EndSARS Panel has released its report and the details contradict the position of the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, the military, and the police who had earlier denied shooting and killing of protesters at the Lekki Tollgate.
Contrary to the denial by Mohammed, the military, and the police, the panel described the incident at the Lekki Tollgate as “a massacre.”
The panel was set up to look into complaints of citizens on human rights abuses by the police and the Nigerian Army following the incident at the Lekki Tollgate on October 20, 2020.
Some protesters were killed after live bullets were shot at them by soldiers drafted to the Tollgate to quell youths protesting against police brutality.
The report by the panel already released had indicted the police and soldiers of the Nigerian Army of having killed and maimed harmless youths protesting against police brutality.
Recall that the incident was faulted by the nation’s Information Minister, Lai Mohammed who claimed that some proponents of the protest used the alleged massacre to paint the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government in bad light before the international community.
Mohammed, in a series of press conferences, denied that nobody was killed when soldiers invaded the protest scene.
During the marking of the one-year anniversary of the protest, the Minister had described the EndSARS massacre at Lekki tollgate as false.
Reacting to an independent investigation by the CNN which revealed that soldiers massacred protesters at the Lekki tollgate in Lagos State, Mohammed said report was ‘fake news’.
The minister had tagged the widespread reports as: “Phantom Massacre at Lekki tollgate” which should be discarded.
Despite Mohammed’s stance, the panel’s report churned out proofs that there was indeed a massacre at the Lekki tollgate.
Reacting to the report, a Lagos-based lawyer and human rights advocate, Barrister Samuel Okoli, called on the Federal Government to suspended Lai Mohammed over his stance on the Lekki massacre.
Okoli said suspending Mohammed would show that the government is willing to make amends.
Speaking with DAILY POST, the human rights advocate said the Federal Government should ensure public trial of all soldiers and police officers involved in the Lekki massacre.
According to Okoli: “From the begining, everybody knew there was a massacre in Lekki but Lai Mohammed is good at twisting facts. If this government is serious, the first thing it will do is to suspend Lai Mohammed because it’s now obvious that the Lekki massacre was real; everybody saw it, DJ Switch posted it, there were live testimonies.
“There were investigative journalists who carried out independent investigations. Freedom for Investigative Journalism had reported that about 20 persons died from the massacre.
“But, Lai Mohammed seeing all those things, still went ahead to defend the government. I think if the government is serious, it should suspend him to show that they are contrite and want to apologize for what happened.
“The Federal Government should apologize and also carry out an open trial of all military and police officers that we’re involved in that massacre, all of them should be tried openly.”
Also commenting on the report, an official of the Benue State Government who preferred not to be mentioned, told DAILY POST that the panel report has “exposed some evils” in the President Muhammadu Buhari’s Government.
According to him, other facts regarding killings across the country may soon emerge, charging Nigerians to watch out.
“The report actually made my day yesterday. Of course, what do you expect from a government that does not have the interest of the people at heart? Nemesis is beginning to catch up with some people in this country. I’m glad that the report exposed the evil going on in the government.
“When it goes wrong on their side, the presidency will suddenly become quiet like a dead and dumb perspn, it is a shame. When Governor Samuel Ortom was saying that there is a hidden agenda on the general insecurity, Nigerians did not understand. More facts will still emerge. Just watch out”, he added.
Similarly, an Abuja-based human right lawyer, Maduabuchi Idam, has urged the Buhari-led government to apologize to Nigerians over the incident at Lekki Tollgate.
Idam said the report has exposed the government of the day of sending its machineries to kill defenceless Nigerians.
He told DAILY POST: “I must quickly commend My Lord, Honourable Justice Doris Okwuobi-led panel of inquiry, for the well considered and well delivered report on the Lekki Tollgate Massacre which took place on the night of the 20th of October, to the wee hours of the morning of 21st of October 2020.
“Without much ado, The report has not just vindicated those who participated in that protest, but it has clearly indicted the Government of the day by confirming the fact that the machineries of the state were ruthlessly deployed against innocent, defenceless and unarmed Nigerian citizens who only came out with Nigerian flags to register their displeasure against police brutality, by way of peaceful protest which is a constitutional right guaranteed in Section 40 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999.
“Before going further, I quickly demand that the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria should on behalf of the Nigerian Army, the Nigerian Police and the Minister of information, forthwith personally tender an unreserved apology to the people of Nigeria, for the unwarranted, unprovoked, avoidable and needless killings of defenceless, armless and peaceful protesters on that day.
“As I await President Muhammadu Buhari’s apology, i expect that the government of Lagos State should immediately implement the recommendations made by the panel as contained in the report with a view to adequately compensate the families of victims of that unwarranted and unprovoked massacre.
“Nigeria is a democratic state and not a banana Republic, therefore, each and every citizen must lend his or her voice to constantly reject and condemn executive high-handedness and primitive use of force against free citizens as it has become the hallmark of this administration.
“This report has vindicated the Nigerian youth, those who played one role or the other during the protest.It has also vindicated all the allegations, cries made by the Nigerian people, that this government has failed us and can’t protect our lives, that this government is not out to serve the interest of Nigerians but their own selfish interest.”
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News9 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News5 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment6 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
