News
Pastor Taiwo Odukoya Gives Details Of How Wife, Nomthi, Died
……….Says ‘it was an attack
Pastor Taiwo Odukoya, the senior pastor of the Fountain of Life Church, has said that his late wife, Nomthi, got the best of both healthcare and spiritual support in the course of her two years battle with cancer.
JomogNews Nigeria recalls that Mrs. Odukoya, who was also a serving minister in the Ilupeju, Lagos-based church, died on Tuesday after a two-year battle with cancer.
The South-African mother of two married Pastor Taiwo in January 2010, five years after the petroleum engineer-turned-cleric lost his first wife, Bimbo, in the ill-fated 2005 Sosoliso Airlines flight that crashed in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
Making his first public appearance during the church’s Sunday service which The Star’s reporter attended, Pastor Odukoya told the congregation that he attended the service for two reasons – to worship God and to explain to the church about the demise of his 47-year-old wife.
Full of adoration and worship to God during the service, Pastor Taiwo said the unfortunate incident was an attack from the devil, stating that despite being upset by the occurrence of certain events, he has the peace of God over the departure of his wife.
Explaining why they returned her to Nigeria some two weeks ago after a series of treatments in the United States and the United Kingdom, he said: “We went to countries and we got the best of treatment. In the U.S., they told us that at the level at which we are treating this case, less than 1 per cent of Americans go this far. We got the best.
“But then, it got to a stage that they said we are out of options and they meant it. But each time they say that, I reply that except for a miracle. At that point, I realized that I just have to continue to believe God.
“So, we boarded the plane and we came back. She came with me two weeks ago. We had the best paramedics from the U.S. and they followed us home. Reddington [Hospital] created virtual ICU in our home; they gave us four to five doctors, supported by their nurses.”
In an emotionally laden voice, the TFOLC senior pastor said: “Some people said Pastor don’t go to church today, you want to rest. Amazingly, I have rest by the grace of God. I have the peace of God. Yes, I’m upset about the occurrence of certain events but I have peace.
“I am here because the church deserves an explanation. The first reason is that I come to glorify the name of the Lord. We are here to worship and let the devil knows that he came too late.”
Explaining timelines of her treatments, he said: “Last year’s Mother’s Day, she was receiving treatment in the UK, she preached from a very difficult position. She started receiving treatment January last year.
“Was it an attack? Everything that the Lord didn’t put on you is an attack of the devil. Yes, it was an attack. But did the devil win? No, he didn’t. I don’t understand the mystery myself. Did the devil win when Judas betrayed and sold Jesus? So, the devil cannot win over us, it is the counsel of God that will come to pass. Why do bad things happen to good people? It is because God is God. So, we really cannot question God over all those things.
“Did we pray? Some people even asked why we didn’t tell them. But you will rather hear of testimonies, that is the way it is structured so that your faith can be deepened. But there were people who were praying every night and day for the past two years. I am not talking of two or three people, but groups of people.”
On whether they fought the battle too late, he said: “Some might say Pastor Taiwo, you didn’t see it coming and you didn’t fight it – who told you? We did the best we could do; it wasn’t the want of prayers. When it got to a stage, I involved the Apostolic fathers. Honestly, the ones I could reach, they went beyond the call of duty.
“They gave us their time, they call us almost twice a week. The Bishop Mike and Rev Peace, the Baba and Mama Adeboye; you will think they gave birth to us. They prayed and they gave. I couldn’t reach Bishop Oyedepo and he told me when he came that ‘O so fun mi’ (You didn’t tell me). But I told him that ‘Ko kin se testimony sir, mo try lati reach yin (It’s not a testimony sir and I tried reaching you as well). So, they did their best. At night, you see Bishop Mike at our gate. Six in the morning, you will see Baba Adeboye at our gate. So, it wasn’t want of prayers.
“Is it that you didn’t catch it on time? Some doctors here will tell you that if it is about catching it on time, we caught it on time. It started like flu but we did all we could do.”
Pastor Odukoya further noted said his late wife fulfilled her time, adding that: “We walked the journey all through together, even when she was abroad. You know we are five hours ahead of them, we call and chat together. So, why she would be going to bed at 11p.m., I will be going to bed by 4a.m. because of the time zone. We had good times together.
“I saw a woman who was incredibly awesome. When Pastor Ashimolowo called me and started talking about Nomthi, I couldn’t believe my ears. She connected unusually and she was simple and quiet about it.
“In terms of treatment, we got the best. Treatment in the UK, we found favour all the way. At a time, she had to do a major surgery. She was on the pulpit sometimes, ministering in so much pain and she will not be able to lift her arm but you didn’t know.
“We got through that only through surgery because the illness was trying to paralyze her but we made sure that never happened by the grace of God. She went through surgery in January this year and by the time she got through surgery, her arms came back. It was a major surgery; she went in at 10a.m. and came out at about 6p.m. She came back continuing ministry and receiving treatment until we had to go somewhere else,” he said.
Born Rosemary Simangele but fondly called Pastor Nomthi, the educationist, life coach, cleric and writer was a South African by birth.
She had her primary education in South Africa; she was a student of Natal College of Education between 1996 and 1999. She also holds a master’s degree from the University of Liverpool.
The late Nomthi is largely credited for writing several children’s books that address topical issues like bullying, gender equality, and life lessons.
The church announced last Friday that the late Pastor’s wife funeral events would be held on the 29th and 30th of November, 2021.
Credit: The Star
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News3 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
News7 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
Entertainment4 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
