Connect with us

News

Insecurity: Concerns In Abuja As Schools Resume Sept 19

Published

on

There has been concerns in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja over the activities of bloodthirsty gunmen who have been on the prowl killing and kidnapping unsuspecting residents of the city.

DAILY POST reports that the nation’s capital has not been left out in the menace of deteriorating security situation that has relatively enveloped the entire country, ranging from banditry, activities of the unknown gunmen and the incessant clashes between farmers and herdsmen at the satellite areas.

In less than 25 days, several communities in Abuja have been attacked by the faceless criminal elements, most of which were underreported.

DAILY POST recalls that unknown gunmen invaded the Pegi community in Kuje, Abuja on Sunday, September 6 and abducted one Mrs Bukola Oladapo, and her two daughters for ransom purpose.

Residents of the community said the attackers armed with AK-47 rifles, scaled the fence of the victims’ house at a resettlement area in the community and forced the doors open. .

Similarly, a father, Abdullahi Benda, and his 23-year-old son, Jibrin Abdullahi Benda, were abducted at Yangoji village in Kwali Area council of Abuja on Friday, August 4 when the criminal elements invaded the community with heavy weapons.

Recall also that gunmen, suspected to be kidnappers on August 17, abducted the village head of Jibi community, Esu Jibi, one Ibrah Dahiru Liman and injured two vigilantes along Dei-dei-Zuba Express way in the nation’s capital.

Also, armed men on August 19 attacked the Dogon-Ruwa community, Kwali Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, kidnapping four residents while others were seriously injured.

The recent surge in security crisis in the FCT may not be unconnected to the increasing rate of banditry currently bedeviling some neighbouring states including Niger, Kaduna and others.

Meanwhile, the Federal Capital Territory Administration, FCTA has announced that the first term for the 2021/2022 academic session would commence on September 19, 2021.

A statement by the acting director, Department of Quality Assurance of the Education Secretariat of the FCT Administration, issued last week, revealed that while borders will resume Sunday, September 19, day students shall resume Monday, September 20.

The statement which was signed by Mrs Uzoanya M.E. for the acting education secretary, indicated that the term will end on Friday, December 17, 2021.

DAILY POST reports that secondary schools in the territory were earlier scheduled to resume the new academic session 2021/2022 on Monday, September 6, 2021.

But Mrs Uzoanya O, the Director of Quality Assurance, Education Secretariat who spoke with our correspondent in Abuja, explained that the resumption date was shifted to enable students participating in the 2021 West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination WASSCE to complete the exercise and graduate.

According to her, schools in the territory are just commencing their first term following the shutdown of schools due to COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, stating that if the resumption was not shifted, those promoted to SS 3 may be stranded as the previous class is still on ground writing their examinations.

“We cannot have two SS 3 classes so we have to wait till those ones that are writing examination have at least covered many subjects and are close to the end of the exercise”, she added.

However, the security situation in the territory has triggered fear amongst some parents and guardians in the city as schools are set for resumption. This follows the story of attacks on schools in many neighbouring states where scores of students have been abducted by bandits.

A trader in Wuse maker, Mrs Mayowa Ademola who spoke with DAILY POST, said she was happy that schools are finally reopening but scared of possible attacks as is the case in some states particularly the Northern part of the country.

She said, “It is a good thing that our children will soon resume to continue their learning but the truth is that there is insecurity everywhere. How are we sure that this criminal elements will not target our children? God forbid!

“I’m begging the security agencies in Abuja to please secure our children from the hand of these evil people”.

Similarly, a civil servant who identified himself as Mr Onome Mathew, called on FCTA to beef up security in schools across the territory particularly the areas facing incessant attacks, else it will be so embarrassing to have any school child kidnapped from a school in Abuja.

But speaking with DAILY POST, Mr Kasim Musa, the Public Relations Officer, FCT Education Secretariat said efforts are on top gear to ensure that students are secured in all schools across the territory.

He assured residents of adequate security in schools, stating that the FCTA is working with all security agencies and relevant stakeholders in the nation’s capital to block access to schools by kidnappers and other criminal elements.

“We are working with security operatives in FCT and local vigilantes to make sure that students and pupils are not attacked in schools. We have been doing this and its working for us. By God’s grace, we have not had any incident in any school here and we will not have,” he added.

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending