News
Lagos charges traditional rulers on conflict resolution, fostering communal peace.
The Lagos State Government on Thursday charged traditional rulers in the state on conflict resolution, fostering communal peace and economic development in their domains.
Commissioner for Local Government and Community Affairs, Dr. Wale Ahmed, gave this charge at a Retreat organised for traditional rulers in Lagos State, held at the Eko Hotel and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos.
He said the theme of the retreat was, “The Role of Traditional Rulers in Conflict Resolution and in Fostering Communal Peace and Economic Development”, in Lagos State.

According to Ahmed, traditional rulers in Lagos had continued to be development catalysts, and respected agents for mobilisation for policy implementation, monitoring and review of policy options.
“So, your role which goes beyond being custodian of our tradition and culture can never be overlooked in the scheme of things, in a State like ours, where peaceful co-existence is paramount to the economic progress of the State.
“Conflict resolution is a long-standing traditional engagement of our Royal Fathers. This has been passed from generation to generation and effectively replicated in our contemporary society.

“This role has contributed in no small measure to the peaceful co-existence among people of different backgrounds and beliefs in our State, resulting in remarkable economic progress for Lagos State. We thank you for this but still request that you do more, especially at this period of challenges and un-provoked aggression among people,” he stated.
The Commissioner said traditional rulers had a special responsibility to uphold not just traditional values, culture and customs, but to also ensure that information dissemination flowed to all nooks and crannies and that residents in each community understood government policies and programmes in the simplest form, using preferably the indigenous languages.
Ahmed added that it was expected that as Royal Fathers and opinion leaders, they would properly and adequately educate their subjects, including youths, on what the government had been doing, and how they could play their own part, to help the government to deliver more dividends of democracy.

“And as the closest to the grassroots, the constant interaction with them puts you at vantage position, to get the message across to them, and to get their support and cooperation for meaningful development.
“This is not optional, but our collective responsibility to strengthen our co-operation for Communal Peace and Security. Retreat such as this is used to consolidate the interwoven synergy between the State and Traditional Rulers in greasing the wheel of progress of our dear State,” he said.
In addition, the commissioner noted that the retreat would offer the opportunity for purposeful engagement on these issues and more, and how they could leverage existing peace and stability in the State, to connect higher economic prosperity.
He urged them to be open-minded and profound in their submissions and engage resource persons on the various interesting topics lined up to map out ways for improved administration, especially at the grassroots; one that would stir towards the, “Greater Lagos Dream”.

Thanking them for their efforts so far in assisting government in their domains, Ahmed urged the traditional rulers to continue to cooperate with the government, and to support her effort at moving the State to the next level, in line with Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu’s promise to the people of the State.
Speaking on the overview of the Obas and Chiefs of Lagos State Law 2015, Director, Legislative Drafting of Ministry of Justice, Mrs. Aderinsola Olanrewaju said that law guides the selection, appointment and recognition of recognised and unrecognised Chiefs in Lagos.
And the idea was to familiarised the Obas to what the law says particularly about how declarations are made, the power to suspend, the power of the Governor under the law what they should do in case of impersonation, offences under the law, how to amend declaration, so that Obas would be able to relate to all these in respect of the law.
Professor of Law, former Dean of the faculty of law, Unilag, Akin Ibidapo-obe, during his presentation on “Conflict Management and Conflict Resolution Technique said that the role of the Obas and his Chiefs are mainly mediation and arbitration and like every other skills and line of education there is a need to be involved in order to improve skills at all time.
He stated that the primary function of the Oba is to resolve conflict by mediation and there should be an institute or council of traditional mediators that will not only serve the immediate community of the Oba, but can as well offer their services elsewhere.
He also advocated the need to recognise the important roles the traditional rulers are playing in mediation and arbitration and should provide a platform that will enhance their skills and give them a basis to reach out even beyond their domains.

Speaking on behalf of the Council of Obas and Chiefs, Oba of Lagos, HRM, Rilwan Akiolu commended the State Government for prioritising the intellectual empowerment of traditional rulers in Lagos State which is evident in retreat such as this.
He implored traditional rulers in the State to continue to commit themselves to and ensure they play their roles in ensuring that communal peace in their domains engender economic development in the State.
Others speakers include Permanent Secretary Primary Health Board, Dr. Akinwunmi Mustapha, Mr Moyosore Onigbanjo (SAN) Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice.
The Oba of Lagos, Oba Rilwan Akiolu, led other monarchs across the State to the event.
Folashade Kadiri
Director, Public Affairs,
Ministry of Local Government and Community Affairs
Thursday, August 26, 2021
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News13 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News9 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment10 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
