News
‘You Didn’t Deserve To Die’ – Super TV CEO’s Mum, Wife Mourns Pay Tribute At Funeral
Mrs Sylvia Ataga, the mother of the slain Super TV Chief Executive Officer, Usifo Ataga, has shared fond memories of her son who was laid to rest on Friday at Ebony Vaults in Ikoyi, Lagos State.
JomogNews Nigeria gathered that Sylvia said her heart bled whenever she remembered Usifo’s death, lamenting that it was painful she could not monitor his last moments.
Usifo’s wife and children also paid their tributes as friends of the deceased demanded a thorough investigation into his murder.
They noted that though he had been buried, the case should not be swept under the carpet.
Usifo was found dead with multiple stabs on June 16 at a short let apartment on Adebowale Oshin Street, Lekki Phase I where he had checked in with his lover, 21-year-old Chidinma Ojukwu, a 300-level Mass Communication student at the University of Lagos.
Ojukwu was consequently arrested on June 23 in her father’s house in Yaba and paraded at the Lagos State Police Command headquarters in Ikeja.
She confessed to stabbing Usifo with a knife under the influence of alcohol and withdrawing N380,000 from the victim’s account with his ATM card. She, however, backtracked later in a video, absolving herself from the murder
Usifo, aged 50, was buried on Friday in a low-key ceremony attended by his family members, including his wife, and friends. Most of the mourners were dressed in black outfits. Some of them donned black shirts with Usifo’s picture and #justice4Usifo inscribed on them.
Journalists were restricted from covering some aspects of the burial. A relation of the late Usifo seized our correspondent’s phone and deleted photos of the interment.
The late Usifo, enclosed in a white coffin, was lowered to the ground amid sobs and prayers by his family and friends.
Some bereaved family members at the burial ground declined comments. However, Usifo’s mother, wife and children paid tributes to him in a service of songs and funeral programme sighted by our correspondent.
In her tribute, the mother, Mrs Sylvia Ataga, reminisced about his birth and growing up, describing him as a loving, caring and peaceful son.
She wrote, “As an adult, he became so caring that I would hesitate to tell him that I was not feeling well. He would either hop on the next plane or send me funds to go and see a doctor. And monitor me for days. My pain is that I could not monitor him in his last week.
“God knows he did not deserve what those people did to him. My heart bleeds any time I remember. He was generous to a fault. It took his death for me to know how loved he was. He has been robbed of the joy of seeing a project he spent seven years working on.
He has been denied the joy of seeing his children grow up, go to university, get married and make him a grandfather….Not to worry, Usifo has found glory with his Maker. I know one day I will hold my baby boy in my arms again.
Usifo, you were taken from me at your golden age; a day before your golden birthday. That makes you extra precious; my golden son who gave me so much pleasure; quiet and loving….It broke my heart to lose you but you didn’t go alone, for part of me went with you the day God called you home.”
The wife, Brenda Ataga, said she and her daughters were looking forward to marking Usifo’s milestone in a special way before the news of his demise shattered their plan.
Brenda stated that her late husband was a man with a ‘heart of gold’ who led a godly life, adding that she had yet to come to terms with his death.
She said, “The girls and I were looking forward to seeing you, to celebrating your milestone. I had imagined how surprised you would be when you walked in to see a place set up for you. I had imagined your infectious smile.
“Now we’re in this nightmare. I’m yet to comprehend the stark reality. That your life was cut short in your prime; at a renaissance of all you had toiled for…I’m lost for words.
“Our daughters were your pride and joy. You were always there as my backbone supporting as we shaped them. What a proud father you were…. You were a man after God’s heart! How can I forget our fervent prayers for the children; your faith that birthed our first child? Nor can I forget the corporate fellowship you led.”
One of the daughters, Emoata Ataga, described Usifo as an amazing man with whom she spent memorable pastimes and who always listened to her problems. “I miss you daddy….Rest peacefully, Love. You will be sorely missed,” another daughter, Eboselulu Ataga, wrote.
A friend of the deceased, Adebayo Afon, urged the police to carry out thorough investigation and bring all those involved in the murder to justice.
He said, “It is always bad when you lose somebody but this is an exceptional one. Most of us, his friends, are still very surprised and confused. The good thing is that we have come to bury him today (Friday) but putting him to rest is not the answer.
“We need to know what happened. I don’t want to say much about police investigation but I must say it is an odd way of doing investigation. We demand justice and must get it no matter what happens.’’
A close friend of the deceased, Daddinson Olumese, said he felt so pained at losing Usifo in such a cruel manner and enjoined the police to ensure justice is served.
Olumese said, “He was my first employer after I graduated from the university. I held him in high regard. He was a gentle man, God-fearing and humble. We are happy that the family had a form of closure by laying him to rest today. However, the rest may not be complete until we get to the end of this issue. We want the police to do their job and let us get justice so that my friend can have a peaceful rest.’
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News3 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
News7 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
Entertainment4 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
