Connect with us

News

Remaining Abducted Greenfield University Students Released, N180M Ransom Paid

Published

on

All the remaining abducted students of the Greenfield University, Kaduna, have been released after spending harrowing 40 days in captivity, the authorities of Greenfield University, confirmed this in a statement last night.

The registrar of the University, Mr. Mohammed Bashir, in the said statement stated that all the remaining students and non academic staff that were abducted by the bandits were released and had been reunited with their families.

Also, confirming the news, the Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir el-Rufai assured the studentsthat, “the bitterness of the last few weeks, now over, would set the backdrop for positive achievements in their lives, as he wished them well for the future.”

But some of the parents of the released students have expressed disappointment in the government at all levels for allegedly leaving them to their fate, saying they had to cough out a whopping N180 million to the bandits before they released their children.

However, part of the statement by Greenfield stated thus: “As you are aware that on Tuesday, April 20th, 2021 armed bandits attacked Greenfield University and abducted 20 students and three non academic staff. Five out of the abducted students and a Male warden were grossly murdered by the bandits.

“I am pleased to inform you that, today, being Saturday, May 29, 2021 that all the remaining students and non academic staff have been released by the bandits and they have already been reunited with their families.

“On behalf of the Board of Trustees, University Council, Management, Staff and Students of our university, we wish to thank all Nigerians and well wishers all over the world for standing by us during this trying times”.

Bandits had on April 18 invaded the university located along the dreaded Kaduna-Abuja road about 8:30pm and abducted 23 students. Few days after the abduction, the bandits, who had demanded N800 million as ransom, killed five of the students, when negotiations were still going on.

On April 23, the bandits killed three of the students, five days after their abduction. Their remains were found in Kwanan Bature village, close to the university. On April 26, two more students were killed and security personnel recovered their corpses in the bush.

One of the parents was said to have paid a ransom of N20 million for the release of her son.

On its part, the Kaduna State Government said in a statement by the Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, “The kidnapped students of the Greenfield University, who had been held hostage by armed bandits, have been released by their abductors.

“This was reported to the Kaduna State Government by security agencies. According to the reports, about 2pm today, Saturday, the hostages were found released along the Kaduna-Abuja road. Fourteen persons were released in total, comprising students and staff.

“It would be recalled that they were abducted by armed bandits in April and had been in captivity since then. Five students were gruesomely killed by the bandits in the period.

“Governor Nasir El-Rufai welcomed the news of the students’ release, and conveyed solace and encouragement to them following their harrowing ordeal.

“He assured them that the bitterness of the last few weeks, now over, would set the backdrop for positive achievements in their lives, as he wished them well for the future.”

Meanwhile, in a short video that went viral last night, two of the parents of the abducted children, a man and a woman, who were bitter about their experience so far despite the release of their children confirmed that they paid some N180 million before the release that was later celebrated by government and security agencies.

The parents, who alleged neglect by the government both confirmed that neither the state nor the federal government participated in the process that led to the release of the children, particularly, that the security agencies refused to help in whatever form of shape.

“N180 million, that’s what we paid; that’s what they collected. One hundred and eighty million, that is what they collected from us – from the parents without the help of a government. None of the government officials has come to our aid since the 20th of April that they took these children. No single one policeman that the government has released to go after them,” the male parent told a reporter, shortly after the children were released.

Video:

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending