News
Katsina: Southerners Express Fear Over Reprisal Threat From Northern Leaders
The threat from some northern leaders earlier this week of a likely reprisal attack on southerners residing in the North is already generating palpable fear among southerners living in Katsina State.
JomogNews Nigeria gathered the threat is causing many of the southerners to now live in perpetual fear of being attacked by angry northern mobs.
In a statement last Thursday, the governor Matawalle Bello of Zamfara, throwing caution to the wind, warned that northerners may start seeking revenge on southerners living in the North.
“No community, or region has the monopoly of violence.
“The North has more than what it takes to respond to any kind of aggression and hatred,” Governor Matawalle was quoted to have said.
In the same spirit, a serving member of the current Nigerian Senate, Senator Ahmed Baba Kaita, representing Katsina North Senatorial District, in a piece he titled, “The North: When silence is no longer an option”, warned of the looming danger to southerners living in the North.
“That the river is calm doesn’t mean there are no crocodiles beneath. That the North is taking physical and verbal insults stoically and with dignified silence doesn’t mean the North is either out of reprisal options or is lacking in expertise in how to play the game the way it’s crazily and irresponsibly being played,” Senator Kaita said.
According to reliable sources the inciting statement from Governor Matawalle and his other co-travellers has led to countless calls from family and well-wishers who have people residing in the north to evacuate now before the situation gets out of hand.
A lady who did her NYSC in the North and stayed back to work in one of the Northern States, said “before now due to activities of bandits and terrorists my family members have been on my neck to return to the south but I blatantly refused. But with this threat coming from a whole governor, It seems I don’t have a choice but to return to the south now.”
Another southerner said, “finally, the time to leave the North for me has come. These Northerners don’t joke at all when they say something, they don’t just do it, they over do it.”
He cited instances of when kidnapping became popular in the North.
“The kidnapping industry took a whole new dimension when they came into it full time.
“Nobody is safe anymore.
“They kidnap anything, whether rich or poor.
“But I won’t leave the North. If they want to kill me let them kill me but I will send my family to the south as soon as school closes for holiday. Wherever man is, when it’s time to die, man must die,” another southerner said.
“Deep down inside where we know as home now is the North because this is where we reside and make a living. This is where we really feel at home. I only go to the south for ceremonies when it becomes mandatory. But if they say they will kill us, we have no choice than to run for our dear lives. But we are praying seriously for the government to find a solution to these problems so that we can feel free and live anywhere as one Nigeria,” another southerner admits.
However, several notable voices have dismissed the threat to life and properties of southerners living in the North from the Zamfara Governor and others.
Here are some of them:
“It is not justifiable to say that because northerners are being killed in the south, we are also going to kill southerners in the north. That is not correct and ACF is against it. That is the easiest way to destroy this country if everyone takes the law into his hands and decides to take revenge. We are completely against that,” Arewa Consultative Forum said.
“We are not happy with the governor’s statement. Such a statement should not have come from a leader holding the sensitive position of a state governor,” said the Chairman Yoruba Council of Obas and Chiefs in Northern Nigeria, Alhaji Mohammed Arigbabuwo.
“I am sure that he (Matawalle) is just trying to gain the support of APC in order to win a second term in office.
“I am disappointed at the way the man spoke. The problem is about herdsmen having issues with the local farmers and in the course of the clash people get killed,” Ohanaeze Ndigbo’s Spokesman, Alex Ogbonnia said on his part.
Nevertheless, the southerners based in the North are not taking the threat from Matawalle lightly as some of them are already looking for an alternative way out of the quagmire.
One of the issues that generated this public outcry by Governor Matawalle and others may not be too far-fetched from the Sasha market crisis that occurred in the month of February.
Daily Post
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News14 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News10 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment11 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
