News
IDPs: Amosun, Odebiyi Call For Relocation Of Ogun Residents In Benin Republic
Former Governor of Ogun State and Senator Representing Ogun Central, Ibikunle Amosun, on Wednesday, joined Senator Tolu Odebiyi of Ogun West in calling for the relocation of Yewa indigenes who fled to Benin Republic as a result of the recent herdsmen attacks.
The two Senators made the plea at the floor of the Senate through a motion moved by Odebiyi and seconded by Amosun.
This is coming at a time the Ogun State Government is still insisting there was no Ogun indigene in any refugee camp in Benin Republic.
It had earlier been reported that scores of Ogun indigenes have turned refugees in the French-speaking country to avoid being killed by fiendish herdsmen; but the state government stressed that there was nothing like that.
Governor Dapo Abiodun held that it would have attracted diplomatic moves between Nigeria and the country hosting the refugees if the report was true.
The Chairman of Ogun State Peace Keeping Committee on Farmers/Herders Conflict, Hon. Kayode Oladele, said those relocating to Benin Republic were Egun and Ohori people, who he said are not actually original Yewa indigenes.
However, on Tuesday, a video went viral that confirmed the relocation of Ogun indigenes to the neighbouring country.
Moving a motion under Order 42 and 52, Sen. Odebiyi confirmed that many of his constituents had become refugees in Benin Republic.
He said the motion was in regards to the urgent need to intervene in the plight of communities displaced and forced to seek refuge in Benin Republic as a result of incessant attacks by bandits and suspected herdsmen in Ogun State.
According to him, “many of the attacks by suspected herdsmen in the area remain perennial owing to the near absence of police and other security personnel in the affected communities.
“Many Communities like Asa, Oho, Igbooro, Moro, Imeko, Agbon Ojodu were affected by the criminal activities of suspected herdsmen.
“Countless attacks by the criminal elements have caused many residents of the areas to desert and relocate to a refugee camp in Benin Republic in search of safety, with many of them in unfavourable conditions in the refugee camps. It may interest you to know that I visited some of these communities; all the women have left for the neighbouring country, Benin Republic and all living in unfavourable conditions.
“The state Government alone cannot be left with the onerous task of relocating these displaced citizens, hence the need for the Federal Government to effectively return the affected citizens back to their various communities.
“Further disturbed that, if the Benin Republic that is a neighbour to Nigeria could accommodate Nigerians in time of crisis, give them food and set up a refugee camp for them, Nigeria needs to positively step up on how we treat our citizens who are victims of an internally induced crisis.”
In his prayers, Odebiyi called on the Nigeria Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs and Border Communities Development Agency to undertake an on-the-spot assessment of the affected communities with a view to determining the extent of the problem and provide relief to the affected persons.
He also called on the concerned authorities to pursue and put in place the necessary mechanism for the relocation of the affected people and their communities, asking the police to provide police posts and ensure police presence in the communities to ensure security of lives and properties.
Seconding the motion, former Governor Amosun said the government should not be tired in making concerted efforts to ensure “we solve these security challenges we are presently having.”
Amosun stated that, “I want to just implore, according to the motion moved by Sen. Tolu Odebiyi, that we should do everything humanly possible to make sure those our citizens that have relocated (so I heard and I saw the video) to the Republic of Benin are brought back home; and we should get all necessary security apparatus in place for them to be comfortable to stay within.”
Meanwhile, the Senate has passed a resolution directing the concerned Federal Government agencies to take necessary actions towards relocating the displaced persons in Ogun.
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News9 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News5 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment6 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
