Connect with us

News

How Kyari’s SARS Team Tortured Me For 14 Days, Stole My N41m – Victim

Published

on

A real estate manager and haulage consultant, has narrated how DCP Abba Kyari’s SARS team tortured him for 14 days and stole his N41m.

A real estate manager and haulage consultant, Afeez Mojeed, on Saturday alleged that he was brutalised and robbed of over N41million by a team of Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), headed by Deputy Commissioner of Police, Mr. Abba Kyari.

He made the claims while testifying before the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Enquiry and Restitution for Victims of SARS related abuses and related matters.

The 38-year-old said his ordeal began at his home in Victory Estate, Ajah, on October 18, 2014, but that following the persistence of his lawyer; he was arraigned and released on bail on October 31, 2014, after spending 14 days in police custody.

Mojeed said: “I was in my apartment around 8-9pm in my sitting room with my two-year-old son and my mother-in-law, watching the television. My wife was in the kitchen cooking; she was five months pregnant.

“I heard a big bang on my door with a voice saying “open this door or I bring down the door.”

The petitioner said at first, he refused to open the door, thinking they were armed robbers. When he summoned courage and opened it, four armed men in mufti pounced on him.

They knocked him to the ground and slapped his expectant wife countless times for asking what the problem was?

After chaining his legs and handcuffing both hands behind his back, he testified that one of the men pulled off his wedding ring from his finger and took his Tissot wristwatch from the table.

He added: “They also collected my wife’s wedding rings after giving her several slaps. They went to my room, approached my cupboard, took the sum of N280, 000 and ransacked all aspects of my house.”

The petitioner said the men also collected several documents from him.

These included his Zenith Bank current account checkbook, ATM card, Diamond Bank corporate account cheque book, four documents for landed properties, two shop documents, ID card, car documents and car key to a Honda Accord 2008 model. They searched his car, took the sum of N50, 000 from it; put him in their Toyota Sienna and drove off to Ikeja Command. When they got there around 11pm, he was informed that the allegation against him was that his car “was a stolen vehicle.”

Another round of beating began and he was tortured by the SARS officers till around 2am, before he was put in a cell.

The victim said the police came the next day to ask for the password to his phone. He gave them, and on seeing his bank alerts, they returned for him.

Mojeed said: “They came back that I should give them the password to my personal account. They collected the ATM, I gave them the wrong pin…they could not cash out.

“Later that day, they pointed at (a man) Edward Obinna and claimed that I defrauded him of N97 million. Immediately I asked Mr. Edward how much I defrauded him? He said he paid the money to my corporate account and I asked them to allow me to get the bank statement to show proof.

“He later changed his story that he paid to Yusuf Olatunji Balogun, my cousin, the sum of N97million to procure some earth-moving equipment and he had been working with Mr. Olatunji Balogun for the past two years and that Balogun paid the money into my account and that the money was with me.”

He explained that Balogun pays him some money to buy properties on his behalf.

“I buy properties for him and whenever he is in Nigeria, I tender his documents to him. I have never seen Obinna nor had any business dealings with him; he also admitted that he does not know me,” the petitioner added.

He accused the policemen of handcuffing, hanging him on a pole and beating him with the flat side of a machete.

“On October 22, under the supervision of (Deputy Commissioner of Police and Commander of the IGP Intelligence Response Team), Abba Kyari, I signed a check from my personal account – N150, 000 twice – to a faceless Nurudeen Alabi.

“I was taken to Ecobank at Ikota, Ajah that same day that I had money there. There was an amount I fixed with Ecobank, they brought me to unfix it and transfer the money to them. The total amount was N15million. The Account Manager suspected something was off and did not accept my application,” he told the panel.

“They wanted me to transfer N41 million from my Diamond corporate account to Edward Obinna. Due to the process of terminating the fee, they asked me to come back the following day,” he added.

In tears, Mojeed said he was returned to Ikeja, where the police started another round of torture, saying he played a prank on them.

“At this time, they beat me so much that I could not see anymore, I was just hearing words.

“After I regained consciousness, they took me back to the cell. Around midnight, they brought me out with some inmates to unload three dead bodies in Hilux bus and threatened that if I didn’t comply, that was how they would waste me.

“On October 23, the following day, they took me back to Ajah, Diamond Bank. Before getting to the bank, they stopped by a boutique and bought me new clothes, jeans and cleaned me up and wore me the new clothes they bought for me.

“Mr. Edward Obinna was behind us in his own car, following us. I was being led inside the bank; two officers went inside with me and sat like customers”.

He accused Obinna of accompanying him to where he picked a transfer form and wired N41 million to his account, adding that they waited at the bank until he received the alert.

Mojeed further told the panel that he was tortured and told to write a note and sign it that he transferred N41 million to Obinna willingly.

The victim added that on October 24, 2014, he was taken to another Zenith Bank branch, where he transferred N800, 000 to Obinna. He also paid another sum of N150, 000 via a cheque to Nurudeen Alabi, under the supervision of Abba Kyari, the then OC, SARS.

“After achieving their objective, the police put a call through to my wife; that she can terminate the presence of my lawyer that they are going to resolve the matter, he said.

He explained that following the persistence of his lawyer, he was arraigned and released on bail on October 31, 2014, after spending 14 days in police custody.

The victim said he suffered poor sight and could not hear properly after the incident. He went to Ajeromi General Hospital, Ajegunle, where he was treated.

Source: The Nation

 

 

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending