Connect with us

News

Osun: Man Deformed By Policeman Tells Panel How He And Six Others Were Shot over N20 bribe

Published

on

Amos Adeyemi, who was a passenger on a commercial bus was deformed after he was shot by a police officer in 2003, has now filed a petition before the Osun Judicial Panel.

Adeyemi had his lower lip, jaw and teeth ripped off by the police bullet. Narrating his experience, he said, a member of the police team identified as Constable Olalere George (with Force No. 367218 PC) fired gun shots at the bus and wounded 7 out of the 18 passengers inside the bus, after the driver paid “N20 customary toll fee” and was cleared by another police, Jomog News Nigeria reports.

Adeyemi who was a Produce Merchant was going to Offa, Kwara State from Modakeke. He boarded the bus with number XC 778 SGB in Osogbo Osun State to buy cashew nuts on June 22, 2003, when the incident happened.

In his petition, Adeyemi sought redress for the brutality he suffered from the members of the Nigeria Police Force, Osun State Command, the injuries, pains, deformations and many other adverse effects the injuries have been having on him from that day till date.

The petition read:

“At the Railway Crossing, Okuku, a Police Patrol team mounted a check point where the bus Driver (Mr. Ibrahim Olagoke) was stopped, the bus was searched, and the Driver dropped the “customary toll fee” (which was then N20.00 per police check point) and he was cleared to go by the Police Officer who checked the bus by waiving his hand.

“As the bus moved, another member of the Police team (later identified as/Constable Olalere George (with Force No. 367218 PC) fired gun shots at the bus and wounded 7 out of the 18 passengers inside the bus, including the Petitioner. Constable George’s gunshot entered the Petitioner’s head from the back and came out through mouth and in the process, scattered the Petitioner’s mouth, lips, teeth and jaw with blood gushing out from his body.

“Our Client instantly fell into coma while the Police Officers ran away from the scene of the crime abandoning our Client and other victims there to die. Till date, the Police Authorities have not disciplined Constable George, members of his team and Divisional Police Officer who gave them weapons to use against innocent members of the Public at the said check point.

“Good Samaritans rushed the Petitioner to Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Teaching Hospital (LAUTECH) Osogbo where he was treated. Due to his critical conditions, he was later referred to Obafemi Awolowo University, (OAUTHC) Ile Ife where he underwent surgeries and other medical treatments to remove the bullets from his body and head by a medical team led by Dr. Vincent Ugboko, a Consultant Anatomy Expert and Lecturer. Our Client was on admission at OAUTHC for several months and he has since then remained on drugs to reduce his pains.

“Due to lack of the required facilities and manpower in Nigeria, Dr. Ugboko recommended the Petitioner for plastic surgery and further medical treatment overseas vide a letter dated 20/7/2004.

“In response, the University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, United States of America vide a letter dated 20/8/2004 offered to treat the Petitioner for $120.000 USD (One hundred and twenty thousand US dollars) excluding travelling and living expenses.

“The surgeries were to be performed in stages covering a period of 14 months, during which period he was to remain in Miami with a helper. Copies of the said 2 letters are attached as Annexure GAAC 1 and GAAC 2 respectively.

“The Petitioner used his life savings, the proceeds of the sales of his personal properties and loans for his treatment in Nigeria without any assistance from the Police Authorities, despite his repeated appeals. As a result, our Client filed a case at the Federal High Court, Osogbo to seek legal redress in Suit No. FHC/OS/CS/17/2003:- Amos Odeyemi Vs. (1) Inspector-General of Police (2) Paneler of Police Osun State (3) Constable Olalere George and (4) Attorney General of the Federation wherein the Learned Trial Judge, Hon. Justice Chukwura Nnamani in his judgment delivered on 8/12/2004 held among other things that in shooting the Petitioner, Constable Olalere George was reckless and grossly negligent, the Inspector General of Police and the other Defendants were vicariously liable for the illegal, unconstitutional and unjustified shooting of the Petitioner.

“The bus Driver, (Mr. Olagoke) the Leader of the medical team, Dr. Ugboko and the Petitioner were some of the witnesses who testified during the trial. Regrettably, the Court awarded a meagre sum of N1 million only as special, general and exemplary damages in favour of the Petitioner and without ordering for his further treatment abroad and/or even in Nigeria.

“The said sum of N1 million was not sufficient to cover the Petitioner’s travelling expenses let alone the surgeries and accommodation he needed in the USA. The Police Authorities paid the #1 million during the pendency of the appeal against the quantum of damages in Appeal No. CAD/125/2006: Amos Odeyemi vs. IGP & 4 Ors which has now been fixed for 213.2021

“As a result of the incident, the Petitioner has lost his lower lip, lower jaw and teeth, he can no longer live an average normal life, farm, carry on his produce merchant business or do any other job, eat any solid food, talk well, control his saliva, appear in public without using a towel to cover his mouth long before covid – 19 pandemic surfaced and made the use of nose masks compulsory in 2020.

“The Petitioner has been maimed, disfigured permanently and he now looks like a monster whose appearance frightens most people and drives away people from him. He has been experiencing serious pains and discomforts on daily basis and he remains on medication. If he walks during the day, blood and saliva will be gushing out uncontrollable from his mouth. He is now virtually a human vegetable. He was only 45 years old when the incident happened but he is now 62 years old. He has a wife and 3 children and he is now living at the mercy of God, friends and Well-wishers. 2.08: Some print and electronic media have also published the Petitioner’s tragedy.”

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending