Connect with us

News

Young Lady Dies, Pastor Severely Burnt As Jealous Lover Sets Home Ablaze

Published

on

A makeup artist and baker identified as Elvina Japheth Abilo, pictured above, has been burnt to death while one Pastor Henry was severely injured after a jealous lover set a home ablaze in Igbogene-Apie, Yenagoa Local Government Area of Bayelsa State.

Young lady dies, pastor fighting for life as jealous lover sets ex-girlfriend

Pastor’s assistant Elvina Japheth Abilo

The incident happened on Saturday, October 31, about 3 am, when a 40-year-old man identified as Etifa Obukulubu, set ablaze the home of his ex-girlfriend after she ended their relationship. 


It was gathered that the exit door out of the house was jammed from outside when the incident occured.

The suspect had reportedly targeted his girlfriend identified as Wilberforce, but unknown to him, she had already vacated her home for the pastor and his deceased assistant, Elvina.

Young lady dies, pastor fighting for life as jealous lover sets ex-girlfriend

Elvina Japheth Abilo

According to residents of Igbogene community the suspect, who is a commercial driver, had waited for all three but didn’t notice when Wilberforce left her house for her friend’s house where she was to pass the night.


“He waited for them to enter the house. And use fuel to set fire around the house. But he did not know that his girlfriend had left to go and sleep with another friend.” 


Another resident, who described the suspect as a loner, said the incident shocked everyone in the area.

“These lovers were staying three houses apart and no one suspected they were dating. It is unfortunate that the pastor’s assistant died in the fire. I was told the pastor was invited to preach in Yenagoa and the estranged girlfriend offered her home for them to sleep.”

However, according to late Elvina’s cousin Joyce Abilo, the suspect’s former girlfriend ended their relationship because her parents are not in support of it. 

“He felt that Pastor Henry is encouraging the girlfriend to leave him. They are related by blood so the parents are not in support of it. My sister is a friend to the targeted girl.” she said.

The Spokesman to the Bayelsa Police Command, Asinim Butswat, who confirmed the incident, said investigation is ongoing.

Meanwhile, friends and family members have taken to Facebook to mourn Elvina, who they described as talented, brilliant and industrious.

“So my Sweet Cousin Sister Elvy as I will always call you is no more? My heart is deeply broken. My makeup artist, my Baker and Americana. Your personality is one of a kind. You are not just beautiful but hard working and loving too. Full of beautiful dreams with a bright future. Why gone too soon?,” Joyce Abilo wrote.

“You know how much I love and cherish you. You know how much I love recommending your work to clients. Remember I said I will take you with me to our end of year party this year, remember how I promised giving you Baking and makeup jobs.

“Can you see the very last cake you made for my colleague on her birthday two weeks back Oh what a wicked world. Too hard to believe you are no more. Rest in Peace my Dearest Cousin Elvy Japheth Abilo. I love you but God loves you MOST”

Doubra Vallie Samuel, wrote:  “RIP to an innocent soul. You were hardworking always thriving for the best in life, you were so brilliant and good at what you do. I wonder why it had to be you but I can’t question Baba God for it. Till we meet again in the great beyond. The entire Igbogene mourns you”

Lauryn Nathaniel recalled spending time with the deceased a day before the incident. 

“Just yesterday I saw her. We talked and laughed together. Never kinew it will be the last time to see you. You were so brilliant, always taking first and second position in class. You were so industrious, It’s so sad you have to go like this. May your gentle soul rest in peace. Elvina baby” she wrote.

Young lady dies, pastor fighting for life as jealous lover sets ex-girlfriend
Young lady dies, pastor fighting for life as jealous lover sets ex-girlfriend
Young lady dies, pastor fighting for life as jealous lover sets ex-girlfriend
Young lady dies, pastor fighting for life as jealous lover sets ex-girlfriend
Young lady dies, pastor fighting for life as jealous lover sets ex-girlfriend
Young lady dies, pastor fighting for life as jealous lover sets ex-girlfriend
Advertisement

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending