Connect with us

News

How Family Of Five Died In Kogi Tanker Explosion

Published

on

More revelations emerged on Thursday about Wednesday’s tanker explosion that claimed more than 20 lives at the Felele area of Lokoja, Kogi State capital.

Mr Samson, popularly known as Sabere D’owo (making fortunes from fashion designing), had hoped to make this year’s Christmas a memorable one with thanksgivings to God on the dedication of his house, a neighbour of one of the victims told The Guardian.

It was gathered that Samson started off as a tailor, but with hard work, dedication and commitment within a few years, transformed to being the leading sewing machine merchant in the state. He was a household name in the state’s tailoring and fashion industry.

Samson, in his 40s, was a lover of his family and everyone around him. His family of four children – Elizabeth, Mercy, Joshua and Isaiah – and his wife, had no premonition of any disaster when they took off in the morning from their house, beside 4Season Restaurant on Felele end of the Lokoja-Abuja expressway.

As was their tradition every morning, Wednesday was not different as the family gathered for their morning devotion. Samson, a well-respected member of First Baptist Church, Lokoja, never toyed with the family communion with God. After which he would wash his newly acquired Highlander SUV before setting out for the day’s work, after dropping off his children in school and his wife in her shop, a stone’s throw from his own.

But on Wednesday, the world of the Samsons turned black as few meters from his home, close to the main campus of the Kogi State Polytechnic, a petroleum tanker laden with Premium Motor Spirit lost control and rammed into his SUV before exploding into flames.

That was the moment that wiped out Samson, his wife, three of his children and a friend’s child who he was to drop in school.

A neighbour, who simply identified herself as Mama Elijah, wept uncontrollably as she said they have lost a gem and dependable neighbour. She said when the family left the house some minutes after 7:00a.m. they had bid them good tidings, not expecting any harm to befall them.

She said: “Samson came to the area before I and we had lived together in peace for more than 15 years. In all these years, I have never seen him or the wife having altercation with anybody. They were such a peaceful people who mind their business.

“It is lamentable that the entire family was burnt in a tanker accident, but I am glad that his only surviving son, Isiah Samson, aged 26, who is in a boarding school at Ogbomosho, Oyo State is left standing. I pray for him to have the fortitude to bear the loss. As a Christian, we cannot question God, but all I have to say is for God to forgive their sins and accept them into His bosom.”

Mr. Sunday Adewale, who lost a loved one to the accident, blamed the government for not equipping fire service agency in the state. He decried the slow response of both the Federal Fire Service and the state fire agency, with both lacking the needed equipment to combat the inferno.

He added that had the fire service been functional, the number of casualties wouldn’t have been so high as some of the victims were trapped and were crying for help, which never came.

The Commissioner for Works, Abubakar Ohere, didn’t pick his calls. The Federal Roads Safety Corps (FRSC) in the state put the figures of fatality at 23 persons, as 10 vehicles were involved in the accident.

One of the survivors, Mallam Raji Eneye Musa, Deputy Registrar, Kogi State Polytechnic, said it took God for him to escape death. Speaking with The Guardian in Lokoja after the accident, he said they were five in his car, including one of his daughters.

He said immediately he entered the main road, he did not see any tanker behind him but when he slowed down to take a bend to the road leading to his daughter’s school, he noticed that his car had been hit from behind by a petrol tanker, adding that the force of the impact pushed his car out of the road to land across a culvert, metres away from the scene.

It would be recalled that this is the third fuel tanker accident within three years on the same road. On July 28, 2017, it was reported that about 10 persons were burnt beyond recognition while six others sustained serious injuries in a crash involving a fuel tanker and a commercial bus in Felele.

The second one was on November 18, 2019, killing eight persons, while seven others sustained injuries as a tanker rammed into other vehicles on its descent around the Felele axis.

Meanwhile, the Kogi State government has declared a two-day mourning as a mark of respect for the 23 victims of Wednesday’s tanker explosion. This was contained in a statement signed by the Commissioner for Information, Mr Kingsley Fanwo, yesterday.

Fanwo urged residents of the state to use the period for a sober reflection as well as pray for the victims and their relations, adding that Governor Yahaya Bello was deeply touched by the incident.

Fanwo said the government would carry out full investigations into the accident to determine the immediate and remote causes.

Also, the management of the Kogi State Polytechnic has declared three lecture-free days in memory of those that died in Wednesday’s tanker explosion. The tanker explosion took place about three kilometres from the polytechnic’s main gate, claimed the lives five students of the institution.

The school management, in a statement issued by the Head, Public Relations and Protocol Unit, Mrs Uredo Omale, said the decision was reached at the end of an emergency meeting of stakeholders.

Omale further disclosed that three other staff members of the school who survived the accident sustained varying degrees of injury.

It read: “The management of the Kogi State Polytechnic has declared Wednesday 23rd to Friday 25th September, as lecture-free days in honour of members of the polytechnic community affected by the inferno caused by the tanker explosion.

“The decision was reached at an emergency stakeholders meeting of the institution immediately after the most regrettable incident. The stakeholders resolved that normal academic activities are to continue on Monday, 28th September.

In a reaction, President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, commiserated with the families of victims yesterday. In a statement issued by his Special Adviser on Media, Ola Awoniyi, Lawan expressed grief over the accident.

“It is sad and totally unacceptable that such tragedy keeps recurring on our roads despite ample road safety regulations and enforcement personnel. While we mourn those who have so unfortunately lost their lives and pray for the speedy recovery of those who are injured, the incident underscores the need for constant review of our road safety strategy and mechanism with a view to making them more effective in preventing carnage on our roads.”

Also, the Edo State governor, Mr Godwin Obaseki, has condoled with the government and people of Kogi over the tanker explosion. In the condolence message issued in Benin City yesterday, Obaseki said: “I condole with the government and people of Kogi State over the tanker explosion that claimed several lives.

“The explosion is an urgent reminder of the need to prioritize road and rail infrastructure development in Nigeria. Our hearts go out to families that lost persons and wish them the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.” 

Source: The Guardian

Advertisement

News

Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack

Published

on

By

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.

During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.

The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.

Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.

According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.

During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.

A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.

While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.

In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.

“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”

Continue Reading

News

Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba

Published

on

By

One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.

The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.

According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.

LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.

The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.

“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.

The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.

“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.

It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.

According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.

The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.

“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.

“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.

According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.

“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.

He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.

Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.

The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.

Continue Reading

News

Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case

Published

on

By

The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.

NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.

The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)

In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Continue Reading

Trending