Politics
Why Supreme Court Judgment On Imo Can’t Be Reviewed – Ozekhome.
Chief Mike Ozekhome (SAN), a constitutional lawyer and human rights activist, in this interview with TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI, speaks on the latest Supreme Court rulings, how to improve the electoral process and the controversy trailing the South-West security outfit, Operation Amotekun, which has been declared illegal by the Federal Government. Excerpts:
The Supreme Court on Monday affirmed the election of Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau state. As the lawyer to General Jeremiah Useni, the candidate of the PDP, what is your take on that judgment and others granted by the Supreme Court?
I must say that I am surprised by the governorship ruling on the Plateau governorship election. We had a very good case but the Supreme Court being the final court of law, once they have finished their judgment, they have finished; but that does that not mean they cannot or have not made mistakes. For example, we formulated about 18 issues but they look into only one issue. Even the interlocutory appeal that we had won at the Supreme Court on 23rd September last year which the Tribunal ignored and the Court of Appeal also ignored, the Supreme Court did not touch it at all. We also cited the case of Hope Uzodinma vs INEC of last week and the case of Governor Aminu Tambuwal that was also decided on Monday morning as being in our favour but they did not touch any of them at all.
One point I must make is that the electoral regime as presently constituted is firmly skewed against a petition which is expected to prove that you won in every polling unit, either across the state or across the nation; and all of this must be done within a limited period of time because the period provided for commencement and conclusion of elections cannot be elasticated. The Supreme Court itself had said so that it is like the Rock of Gilbratar which cannot be moved. What it means is that politicians go out of their way during the elections to kill, maim, burn, bribe and yet you see them boasting publicly that their opponents should go to the Tribunal. They do this because they know that the constitutional and electoral obstacles erected on the path of the petitioner are so gargantuan that climbing them is like climbing Mount Everest. That is what encourages politicians to mess up the system; that also encourages INEC instead of being impartial and independent, they are compromised. So, we have a situation where Presidents, Governors, Local Government chairmen, lawmakers and even councilors are being conceived, incubated and delivered from the hallowed chambers of the courts of law rather than through the electoral process which gives vent to the voice of the people. So, the people’s votes are continually being relegated to the background in preference of a supervisory authority called the courts that now delivers candidates to the people.
What do you think can be done to address this anomaly?
I think that it is high time for the Justice Mohammed Uwais Electoral Committee Reform report and the Senator Ken Nnamani Electoral Committee report to be dusted up by the federal government so as to rejig and reinvent the wheel of our electoral process. Otherwise, what we are practicing today is not necessarily democracy, which is government of the people, by the people and for the people as stated by Abraham Lincoln in his 1863 Gettysburg declaration, but the government of the powerful, by the few and of the ruthless. That is not good for us as a nation.
On the Imo governorship election, some lawyers have said there is still hope for Emeka Ihedioha as the Supreme court can still review the case. What is your take on that?
No! Generally, under the Supreme Court rules, except when they commit what we called clerical error, the Supreme Court rules forbids the Supreme Court reviewing its own case because it is the final court. Otherwise, there will be no end to litigation. People who are saying the Imo judgment can be set aside maybe really do not know the legal position.
What is your perspective on the raging controversy surrounding the South-West security outfit, Operation Amotekun which has been declared as illegal by the federal government?
The federal government cannot declare Amotekun illegal. They have no powers to do so. The federal government has its own police force in section 214 and 215 of the constitution. The same section makes the governor of a state the Chief Security Officer of his own state; meaning that within the territorial jurisdiction of a state, a governor has to provide security for its own citizens. He doesn’t have to wait for the federal government. Amotekun is like the Hisbah that has been operating in the North for years which was set up to fight Boko Haram and other criminal vices. There is nothing special about Amotekun. We have the Agbekoya before.
There is hardly a state in Nigeria today that doesn’t have one vigilante group or the other. They are all meant to take care of the security of such states. Within a federal system of government, each federating unit is supposed to be independent and autonomous within its territorial area.

Politics
ADC’s Aisha Yesufu Issues Public Apology For Listing Yemi Adamolekun Without Consent
Prominent activist and African Democratic Congress (ADC) member Aisha Yesufu has issued a public apology to governance advocate Yemi Adamolekun following a controversy over her inclusion in the party’s Wise Men and Women Policy and Manifesto Committee.
The issue emerged on Wednesday after Adamolekun, former executive director of Enough is Enough Nigeria, expressed surprise on social media at seeing her name listed among members of the ADC committee.
Tagging Yesufu and ADC spokesperson Bolaji Abdullahi, Adamolekun questioned the party’s process in a blunt post on X.
“ADC! ADC! ADC! How many times did I call you? This is not how to build credibility o! Please show me evidence of when I joined your party! Na wa….” she wrote.
Responding the same day, Abdullahi said the committee was designed to be expert-driven rather than strictly partisan.
“It is important to point out that not everyone on the ADC Policy and Manifesto Committee is a member of the ADC. Many are not even politicians,” he said.
He added, “This is because the ADC believes that the task of developing workable public policies for the benefit of all Nigerians should not be left to politicians alone.”
Abdullahi maintained that the party had followed due process.
He said the ADC had undergone a “vetting process” and “took all necessary measures to ensure that everyone recommended to serve on this important committee was duly notified and had given their consent.”
Despite the disagreement, he expressed hope that Adamolekun would still participate, citing her “vast experience – even though she is not a member of our party.”
However, reacting on Friday, Yesufu, a member of the party’s Revalidation, Mobilisation and Registration Committee, acknowledged the error and apologised publicly.
She wrote, “This is inexcusable, and on behalf of my party, accept my apologies for this mix-up. We do not take you and your need to have a better Nigeria for granted.”
Yesufu admitted the process was flawed.
“Like you rightly pointed out, you ought to have been informed and your consent gotten before your name is published.
“This is well noted, and going forward we will continue to ensure due diligence,” she said.
She added, “Thank you for calling our attention to this. We can only get better when we get such feedback and improve accordingly.
“The work to rebuilding Nigeria is enormous, and in our eagerness to start off, we must never forget due process and diligence.”
Yesufu also extended an apology to others affected by the publication.
“For anyone that was also not contacted and consent gotten before publication, kindly accept my apologies for the mix-up,” she said.
Politics
Atiku’s Son Gives Thumbs Up To Tinubu’s Economic Policies, Backs Another Term
Abba Atiku Abubakar, son of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, has attributed his support for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s re-election bid to what he described as the administration’s innovative and business-friendly economic policies.
He said President Tinubu’s economic initiatives are more favourable to businesses than those of previous administrations, adding that the reforms have reshaped his political alignment ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Abba made the remarks during a solidarity visit to the leadership of the City Boy Movement (CBM) in Abuja on Monday evening, where he led members of the Haske Atiku Organisation, now rebranded as the Haske Tinubu Organisation.
He recalled that he formally defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC) on January 15, collecting his membership card at Gwadabwa Ward in Yola North Local Government Area of Adamawa State, where he publicly pledged support for Tinubu’s second-term ambition.
According to him, his decision to back the president was driven by admiration for the economic policies introduced since 2023, which he believes are positioning the country for stronger private-sector growth and investment.
According to him, “This administration has introduced policies that have every Nigerian in mind. If anyone says this government is not doing well, I will tell them they are lying,” he said. “I believe that if given another term, the government will do even more because it is focused.”
He explained that his long-standing experience in business has given him a clear perspective on economic governance in Nigeria.
“Since the return of democratic rule in 1999, I have been in business, and I am still in business today. The economic policies of Mr. President are favourable—not just to businesses, but to Nigerians in general, who are already benefiting from these reforms,” he stated.
He also explained that his decision to join the APC and align with the City Boy Movement was motivated by his passion for the Tinubu-led administration and his desire to serve.
“My joining the APC and the City Boy Movement is based on my belief in this administration. I also intend to use this platform to serve the people of Adamawa at the National Assembly level. Mr. President has made youth inclusion in politics a reality,” Abubakar added.
The Director General of the City Boy Movement, Mr. Oluwatosin Shoga reaffirmed President Tinubu’s commitment to youth participation in governance and leadership.
He noted that one of CBM’s core strategic mandates is to ensure that young Nigerians are deliberately positioned for leadership roles while encouraging greater youth involvement in the political process.
Abba’s delegation was received by the Director General of CBM, Mr. Shoga, and the National Coordinator, Mr. Favour Abayomi.
Politics
Oriyomi Hamzat Formally Joins 2027 Oyo Governorship Race Under Accord Party
Popular Ibadan-based broadcaster and founder of Agidigbo 88.7 FM, Alhaji Oriyomi Hamzat has officially declared his intention to run for the 2027 Oyo State governorship under the Accord Party.
In a public declaration, Hamzat stated, “I am publicly declaring today that in 2027.
“I will not campaign for anyone or mobilise crowds for anyone.
“I will contest in the gubernatorial election under the Accord Party.”
The announcement signals Hamzat’s full commitment to his own political ambitions, stepping away from backing other candidates as he positions himself for the Oyo State governorship race.
-
News1 day agoTragedy In Ondo: Gunmen Attack Palace, Traditional Ruler Killed
-
News2 days agoUnity, Providus Banks Merger A Done Deal As Integration Progresses
-
News1 day agoOgun Police Launch Investigation Into TikToker Mirabel’s Sexual Assault Claims
-
News19 hours agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News2 days agoSterling HoldCo Commences Allotment Of Public Offer Shares
-
News1 day agoRivers Assembly Suspends Impeachment Move Against Fubara After Tinubu’s Intervention
-
News1 day agoReserves Surge To $48.5bn As Nigeria Reclaims 2013 Peak Levels
-
News2 days agoNCC Seeks Stakeholders’ Inputs On National Telecoms Policy Review
