News
Man hires kidnappers, kills brother’s son after collecting N300000 ransom
A 34-year-old man, Faruq Seidu, allegedly contracted three men to abduct his brother’s seven-year-old child, AbdulMalik Musa, and killed him after collecting a ransom of N300,000.
The deceased was reportedly kidnapped last Wednesday from his parents’ residence at Sabo Ilupeju, Abeokuta, Ogun State, by the syndicate in connivance with Seidu.
Seidu and the suspected kidnappers, Hassan Hussein, 30; Habib Nurah, 24; and Muhammed Bello, 42, were arrested by men of the state police command and paraded on Monday at the crime scene, beside the Ogun River, Lafenwa, Abeokuta, where the boy was allegedly strangled and thrown into the river.
The suspects took the police to the crime scene, where the remains of the boy were found floating on the water.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Abimbola Oyeyemi, who paraded the suspects, described the incident as man’s inhumanity to a fellow man.
He said investigation revealed that Seidu contracted his three friends to execute the heinous act because of the refusal of his brother, the father of the deceased, Abdul-hammed Musa, to give him money to marry a third wife.
Oyeyemi explained that Seidu and his accomplices had initially demanded N5m ransom, but later reduced it to N300,000 due to the plea by the victim’s father.
According to the PPRO, the incident happened on December 11, 2019, when the parents reported at the Sabo Police Station in Ilupeju, Abeokuta, that the boy had been kidnapped.
Oyeyemi said AbdulMalik was killed because he recognised his uncle, Seidu, who was afraid of being exposed.
He stated, “This is a breakthrough in respect of an abduction and murder; what happened here is the height of man’s inhumanity to man.
“On December 11, 2019, a case of abduction was reported at the Sabo Division in Ilupeju, Abeokuta.
“About 24 hours later, the kidnappers made a request for N5m and we asked the family to play along with them and later they agreed to take N300,000 and after payment, they still killed the boy and threw his corpse in the river.
“I want to appeal to members of the public to trust nobody, because if a brother could do this to his brother, then who can be trusted?
“But, I want to sound a serious warning to criminals in the state and I will be borrowing from the words of the governor, who he said hell fire would be more conducive for criminals than Ogun State.”
The prime suspect, Seidu, claimed to be innocent of the crime.
“I never asked anyone to kidnap my brother’s son, I only saw this one (pointing to another suspect) with the boy on a motorcycle, but I never discussed anything with them; I only greeted them and left,” he stated.
Seidu’s regular motorcyclist, Hussein, however, faulted him by claiming that he contracted them to abduct the boy before he personally killed him on the grounds that he recognised him.
Hussein said while pointing at Seidu, “He is a brother to Alhaji (the deceased boy’s father). He said he wanted to marry a new wife and Alhaji did not want to give him money; so, he asked us to kidnap the boy.
“After Alhaji gave us the ransom, Seidu came and said he was going to kill his nephew, because the boy recognised him and I asked him why, but he never answered me.
“When Seidu collected the ransom, he handed it over to me after he had removed N5,500.
“He wants to marry a new wife after he lost his first wife and divorced the second.
“The boy knew Seidu very well; whenever he was in the boy’s house, AbdulMalik would run to greet him. He gave him biscuit before he took him away on the day of the kidnap.
“He told me that he would kill the boy and he threw his corpse into the river from the bridge.”
When asked where he was when the boy was killed, Hussein claimed that he did not follow Seidu, adding that he was only informed by the boy’s uncle after he had killed him.
Copyright PUNCH.

News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health2 days agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News21 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News17 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment18 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
