News
20 Killed, 40 Missing In Plateau Bloody Attack
An attack that occurred along Rukuba Road in Jos North LGA, Plateau State, on Saturday, August 14, has left 22 people killed, 14 injured and 40 others missing.
Twenty dead bodies were being washed, yesterday, at the Plateau Specialist Hospital, Jos, preparatory for mass burial on the city outskirts.
The deceased were said to be worshippers, who were travelling from Bauchi to Ikare in Ondo state after attending the annual Zikr prayer in Bauchi, when they were attacked.
The incident happened at Rukuba Road that leads to the 3Armoured Division of the Nigerian Army, Jos.
Story had it that the travellers ran into Miango mourners, who were taking their about 40 corpses from the Plateau Specialist Hospital, yesterday, around 9:00 am for mass burial in their village, Miango.
As the mourners, dressed in black, were going to their village for the burial, they ran into five buses.
It was gathered that the mourners stopped the buses and were told by the travellers that they were coming from Bauchi and going to Ikare. They said they were taking Rukuba Road as a shortcut.
The youths descended on them and killed 20 of them instantly, while they burnt some buses. When journalists visited the hospitals, some people washing the corpses at the mortuary asked journalists to count the dead bodies.
A source said 40 people were missing. The Muslim clerics at the hospital said to avoid further escalation of the crisis, they would bury the dead in Bukuru area.
A statement by spokesman of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), Major Takwa Gaji Ishaku said: “Troops got distress calls that suspected hoodlums blocked Jos North Junction along Rukuba Road in Jos North LGA of Plateau State and attacked some commuters.
“Troops immediately mobilised to the scene and restored normalcy. Some persons, including innocent commuters, lost their lives in the unfortunate incident, while others with varying degrees of injuries have been evacuated to a medical facility for care. Their condition is being closely monitored.
“Twelve suspects have so far been arrested in connection with the incident and troops are on the trail of others that took part in perpetrating the heinous act. Those arrested are currently in custody for interrogation…”
Meanwhile, Governor Simon Bako Lalong has warned troublemakers, bent on fomenting trouble in Plateau, to desist, as Government would not allow any form of lawlessness to disrupt the peace of the state.
Lalong, while reacting to the reported skirmishes, condemned the act and immediately directed security agencies to identify and arrest the perpetrators, while dominating the area to restore calm.
Also, Ondo State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu (SAN), has assured the state indigenes that their kith and kin in Plateau State are safe, despite the carnage leading to the death of several persons in the state.
The Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr. Richard Olatunde, in a statement made available to journalists in Akure, yesterday, said the governor urged Ondo State indigenes to be calm, as the situation was under control.
Akeredolu was said to have got the assurance after the unfortunate killing in Plateau, where some people believed to be indigenes of Ondo State were attacked.
Olatunde explained: “The Governor says from the report he received from his brother Governor in Plateau, the incident was a case of mistaken identity.
“The victims, according to preliminary reports, took a route where crisis between Muslims and Northern Christians had ensued for some time, and that they may have been possibly mistaken for aggressors. Accordingly, either of the two feuding groups in the area could be responsible in this regard.”
Governor Akeredolu sued for calm among people of the state, urging that nobody should take the law into their hands. He particularly urged the people to refrain from any hasty colouration of the unfortunate incident.
“I have spoken with my brother Governor in Plateau, and he has assured me that the situation is under control. I want to plead with our people to remain calm. From the report I gathered, it is clear some were killed while many others who are injured have been taken to the hospital for medical attention…”
News
Couple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a couple from their residence in the Iluabo area of Akure North Local Government, Ondo State.
During the attack, which occurred in the early hours of Saturday, February 21, 2026, the assailants shot one person before seizing the victims.
The gunmen had stormed Olaribigba Estate in the community when they whisked Mr Jamiu Olawale and his wife into the bush.
Following the development, which has created tension in the agrarian community, residents protested and barricaded the road leading to the community over the incessant kidnappings and insecurity in the community.
According to sources, the couple had arrived at their residence in an ash-coloured Toyota Camry when they were attacked by the gunmen, who lay in ambush for them.
During the incident, a neighbour of the abducted couple, Patrick Ilumaro, who was seated in front of his residence, was shot by the gunmen while fleeing from the community.
A neighbour of the victims revealed that Ilumaro was swiftly rushed to an undisclosed medical facility where he is currently receiving medical treatment.
While confirming the incident, the Ondo State Police Command disclosed that tactical teams as well as conventional operatives have been deployed to the community.
In a statement issued by the Police Public Relations Officer, Abayomi Jimoh, the operatives are already combing the axis in an effort to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.
“Concerted efforts are ongoing to ensure the safe return of the abducted persons and bring those responsible to justice.
“Members of the public are urged to remain calm and go about their lawful activities. Meanwhile, the Command urges them to provide credible and actionable information that may assist in the investigation to the nearest police station.”
News
Brake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
One person died and four others were rescued following a road accident at Ekoro Junction, Abule-Egba, on Friday evening, according to a statement from the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority.
The Director, Public Affairs and Enlightenment Department of LASTMA, Adebayo Taofiq, made this known in a statement issued on the agency’s X handle on Saturday.
According to the agency, the crash occurred at about 7:30 p.m. when an empty MACK tanker suffered a sudden brake failure, lost control and rammed into a Toyota Corolla before crashing into a roadside shop.
LASTMA said the tanker, with registration number EKY 900 XY, collided with a Toyota Corolla marked AAA 823 AY.
The impact caused extensive structural damage to the shop and triggered panic among traders and pedestrians in the area.
“The magnitude of the collision led to the immediate confirmation of one fatality at the scene, while four other trapped persons were extricated from the wreckage through coordinated emergency rescue efforts,” the agency stated.
The authority said it immediately activated its Rescue and Recovery Protocol, deploying specialised operatives to manage the situation.
“Personnel implemented strategic traffic diversion, vehicular evacuation procedures and crowd management in synergy with other emergency responders to forestall secondary incidents and guarantee unobstructed access for rescue operations,” LASTMA added.
It stated that emergency teams carried out rescue operations and provided medical attention to the injured victims.
According to the agency, a heavy-duty tow truck was later deployed to evacuate the damaged tanker and clear debris from the road to restore normal traffic flow.
The agency disclosed that the tanker driver fled the scene shortly after the crash and security operatives have since launched efforts to apprehend the driver and initiate legal proceedings.
“Security personnel from the Nigeria Police Force, Ekoro Division, responded expeditiously, maintaining public order, securing the accident perimeter and assisting in investigative processes aimed at establishing the precise sequence of events that culminated in the mechanical failure and subsequent collision.
“The incident precipitated considerable traffic congestion extending across adjoining routes toward Abule-Egba, necessitating robust traffic management interventions by LASTMA officials who remained on ground directing vehicular movement and implementing diversion strategies to alleviate the backlog,” it said.
According to the agency, its General Manager, Olalekan Bakare-Oki, expressed condolences to the family of the deceased and urged transport operators, particularly drivers of articulated vehicles, to prioritise routine vehicle maintenance.
“Preventable mechanical deficiencies remain a significant contributory factor in severe road traffic crashes,” Bakare-Oki said.
He also advised motorists to exercise vigilance, obey traffic regulations and maintain responsible driving practices, especially within densely populated commercial corridors.
Bakare-Oki assured the public that security agencies would conduct a thorough investigation to determine the immediate and remote causes of the incident and ensure that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with extant laws.
The agency said other emergency responders at the scene included the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, the Lagos State Ambulance Service, the State Environmental Health Monitoring Unit and officers of the Nigeria Police Force, collaborated to coordinate rescue, medical response and environmental safety measures.
News
Court Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
The Department of State Services (DSS) will arraign former Governnor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, on February 25 over alleged cybercrime and breach of national security.
Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court has fixed the date for the arraignment of the former Governor on a three-count criminal charge filed by the Department of State Services (DSS) after the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho assigned the case to her.
NAN earlier reported that the DSS, on Monday, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.
The charge, instituted by the Nigerian secret police, is marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026.
The service accused El-Rufai of breaching the Cybercrimes Prohibition Act (2024) and the Nigerian Communications Act (2003.)
In court, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.
The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.
-
Health1 day agoFG Launches Salt-Reduction Campaign In Lagos To Combat Hypertension
-
News2 days agoMaureen Badejo To Appear Before Federal High Court Tomorrow On Defamation, Cybercrime Charges
-
News1 day agoCourt Sets Feb 25 For El-Rufai’s Arraignment In DSS Cybercrime Case
-
News9 hours agoBrake Failure Leaves One Dead, Four Rescued At Abule-Egba
-
News5 hours agoCouple Kidnapped, One Shot In Ondo Estate Attack
-
Entertainment6 hours agoTikTok Star Peller Escapes Unhurt After Fire Guts Generator At Lagos Mansion
